jd 110 tlb pump whine? you?

/ jd 110 tlb pump whine? you? #1  

drewgoldsmith

This is my first post so thanks for the opportunity. I own a landscape and irrigation company in Colorado. I have owned the 2003 110 tlb for 5 years and it has been an excellent fit for my needs. As long as I can remember on start up my implement pump( under radiator) whines from 5 to 50 seconds. It is quite loud and when it goes away it will not happen again all day. I am wondering if any other owners hear similar noise? The tractor has 1970 hours and typical temperatures on start up are 35 degrees. Yup is cold where I live and we usually start early. Any help or comments would be great. drew

/ jd 110 tlb pump whine? you? #2  
Have you changed the hydraulic filters and fluid? I would use low viscosity Hy Guard. Sounds like the pump is loosing its prime overnight. I would check the suction hoses running to the pump. Might be something else but that is where I would start.

/ jd 110 tlb pump whine? you? #3  
My two cents here: my backhoe experienced the opposite problem---it started out quiet and then it started to whine as it warmed up. In my case, I had a filter/fluid mismatch. It's an older machine and had both an aftermarket filter and pump, so it took me a while to figure out.

Like Steve suggested, you may want to check that you have the correct type of hydro fluid and consider if it at any time has been contaminated by a different fluid (like if the previous owner used one type and you've used another). I was getting some discoloration in mine; may want to check yours, look for foaming, too. Also, FWIW, make sure your filter is correct for the fluid type.

Good luck!

/ jd 110 tlb pump whine? you?
Thanks Steve.
I assume buy your answer that your 110 makes no pump whine on start up correct? I have checked the hose clamps and they seem to be plenty snug. I also cleaned the transmision/tansaxel vent which if you don't know( not in the service manual or the technical manual) is located above the rock shaft, behind the seat support. When I was changing fluid/filters to j20c ( low vis) I noticed that the gear box drained poorly with the dip stick installed. When you pulled it out fluid drained rapidly. Thanks Drew

/ jd 110 tlb pump whine? you? #5  
Drew, I have no pump whine.

Not related to this but I hope you have changed the oil in the front axle too.