Loader Leakdown

/ Loader Leakdown #1  

Matt4200

Tractor
John Deere 4200
Anyone got a good idea of what normal leakdown should be for a 4200 with a 420 loader? Mine seams to go down faster than I thought it should for a 2000 machine with about 150 hrs. I got the acceptance spec from my dealer. It says that it shouldn't leak down at the cylinder rod more than 5.9 inches/hour. To me that would be a LOT. I measured mine and it went down about 1.5 inches/hour while sitting with an empty bucket. I was using it the other day for kind of a scafold with my homeade fork attachment with a pallet on it. It dropped about a foot at the forks in about 30 minutes. Can anyone give me some feed back on what their tractor is doing??? Thanks in advance!

/ Loader Leakdown #2  
How about a stupid question. I read alot about loader leakdown, does this occur with the tractor running?

/ Loader Leakdown #3  
Matt & Au...as anyone on this forum will tell you: there are no stoopid queshtons et setra. By way of clarification, Matt, you didn't have your 4200 running while waiting the prescribed hour to measure bleed-down on the 420?? Any weeping around the cyl bodies or quick connex? I've never checked bleed-down on my 2yr/old 4200/hst/420fel/200+ tt. I guess shoveling horse pucky doesn't beg the need-to-bleed out of my cyls. However, now I'll have to test in case a problem may be specific to the 4200/420 breed. If the bucket is raised empty formaintenance or scaffolding, I jam a 4x4 or some sort of hell-for-stout bracer under the bucket. I just picture some hydr line busting or a pesky rat knawing a hose (joke)...anyway being flattened by a bucket is not fun, I imagine. Please let me know about your fork 'n pallet device. My 42's been a jewel.

/ Loader Leakdown #4  
Here\'s Deere\'s Measure

Solution Number: 53760

Doc ID: WX53760

Solution Summary: Tractor Valve Leakage Rates When Equipped with Loader

Publication Date: Apr 19 2002

Complaint or Symptom: The boom or bucket cylinders extend or retract at an excessive rate

Problem or Situation: The allowable valve leakage tolerance needs to be known to diagnose loader leakage problems. If there is a problem, the source of the leakage needs to be determined (valve or one cylinder or both cylinders).

Solution:

Use the specifications below in addition to DTAC solution # 50824 "Loader Bucket/Lift Cylinders Extend or Retract" for diagnosis on loaders listed below.

70/410

Lift Cylinder …….. 7.52"/hour maximum 3.76"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 12.34"/hour maximum 6.17"/hour nominal

420 & 70

Lift Cylinder …….. 5.94"/hour maximum 2.97"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 8.59"/hour maximum 4.30"/hour nominal

Lift Cylinder ……. 4.81"/hour maximum 2.41"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 4.81"/hour maximum 4.08"/hour nominal

Lift Cylinder ……. 3.84"/hour maximum 1.92"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 5.70"/hour maximum 2.85"/hour nominal

520 & 521

Lift Cylinder ………3.84"/hour maximum 1.92"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder …. 5.70"/hour maximum 2.85"/hour nominal

521 "B" Position

Lift Cylinder ……. 3.03"/hour maximum 1.52"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 5.70"/hour maximum 2.85"/hour nominal

540 NSL

Bucket Cylinder…. 5.70"/hour maximum 2.85"/hour nominal

540 SL / 541 NSL & 541 SL

Bucket Cylinder … 4.09"/ hour maximum 2.04"/hour nominal

620 / 720 & 740 NSL

Lift Cylinder ……. 1.89"/hour maximum 0.76"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 3.17"/hour maximum 1.27"/hour nominal

640 NSL & SL

Lift Cylinder ……. 1.17"/hour maximum 0.47"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 3.17"/hour maximum 1.27"/hour nominal

Lift Cylinder ………1.53"/hour maximum 0.61"/hour nominal

Bucket (-5999)…… 3.17"/hour maximum 1.27"/hour nominal

Bucket (6000-)…… 2.28"/hour maximum 0.91"/hour nominal

740 SL

Lift Cylinder …….. 1.17"/hour maximum 0.47"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 2.28"/hour maximum 0.91"/hour nominal

840 on 7000 Series Tractors

Lift Cylinder …….. 0.93"/hour maximum 0.37"/hour nominal

Bucket Cylinder … 1.72"/hour maximum 0.69"/hour nominal

70, 440, 460, 520, 540, 620, 640, 720, 725, 740, 840, 410, 420, 430, 541, 521

/ Loader Leakdown
Re: Here\'s Deere\'s Measure

LazyK, I didn't have the tractor running. Although, I'm not sure it would make a difference if it was running or not? I guess it would depend on what is leaking. I've not noticed any external leakage anywhere in the hydraulics. About the forks. I've read some posts about them and I think most of you would like to see mine, not trying to brag or anything. I've never gotten the frame painted yet, so it doesn't look pretty yet and I don't have a digital camera, but will try to get a hold of one soon to get a picture or two to post. The forks are adjustable side to side and I can quick attach it to the loader in place of the bucket or on the 3 pth. I use them about as much as the bucket I believe. They're just a pair of well used forklift forks I bought for $50, but they're plenty for the 4200.

Joecdeere, I have a DTAC from the dealer, but not the same one you posted. Mine has about the same spec on it though. Got a question for you though. Do you have any access to DTAC's on the 4200 Syncshift transmission problems? Mine has a problem shifting into gear sometimes.

Thanks guys!

/ Loader Leakdown

Well today I disconnected the lift cylinders at the quick connects and then lifted a little weight by curling the bucket. The lift cylinders didn't move at all. That tells me that the leak is in the valve. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow and see what he says about it.

/ Loader Leakdown #7  

Matt, send me your serial number, and which shifter isn't working right

/ Loader Leakdown

LV4200C327959 is the serial.

My problem is with trying to go from one gear to another, like first to reverse. NOT the range lever. It seems like the clutch doesn't disengage totally. It's really bad when facing a downhill slope. Some tell me this is because all the oil runs to the front where the clutches are. It's always a little hard to get into gear while sitting on level ground to me. I moved some dirt over the hill behind the house and dumped it while sitting on the hill and almost couldn't get it into reverse to get backed up the hill. I found that if I sort of slam it from first to reverse it will go easier. My dealer says it's something I'll have to live with. He did have a used one there which I tried out to see if it had the problem and it did, but maybe not as bad as mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!