Snow Deere 47 snow blower

/ Deere 47 snow blower #1  

welcomematt

I have a X585 tractor with a 47" snow blower. It works well in a straight line, but it has problems when I have to blow the snow on the circular driveway and curved paths. when doing an inner circle, the snow blower is sticking out from the edge by about 8 inches, and if you try to bring it closer the tires start running into the unplowed snow, and then I get stuck. Usually this isn't a problem with small snow storms, but we usually get a lot of snow, and over the season it is not uncommon to have snow walls of 3 feet along the driveway. I also know that JD now has a 54" snow blower, which would help my situation, but I don't want to upgrade right now. Right now I waste a lot of time blowing the snow in a octagon shape, backing up.. repositioning, backing up... repositioning.... etc.

So my question is: has anyone tried to attach the 47" blower to the power angle quick hitch. I know you can attach the front blade and broom to the angle quick hitch, but I was wondering if it will work with the 47" blower? Your next question will probably be, how I would control the chute.... well I was thinking of changing it to a linear actuator and add another one for the chute up/down control. This way, when I do the inner circle I can move the blower to the left/right and blow without having to do funny patterns.

Any thoughts? concerns? recommendations?

Thanks
matt

/ Deere 47 snow blower #2  
Just an idea but have you thought of adding wider side panels? You could probably get the little extra you need without changing your setup.

I found this on the Web just to show what I'm thinking of:

Attachments

• bobcat snowblower.jpg
    bobcat snowblower.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,277
   / Deere 47 snow blower
Hi Max,

A friend of mine suggested that very same thing, and it is something I'm considering. The only problem with that solution is that I have to pass thru some very tight areas (1-Gate in fence; and 2- getting in and out of the shed)

matt

/ Deere 47 snow blower #4  
Welcome to the forum Welcomematt :)

That is one real nice thing about the all-wheel steer (although it isn't 4wd like I believe your X585 is).
The AWS will follow the front attachments around in their path.

I wouldn't suggest you make a change in tractors and hope you find a solution to the problem. Maybe a moveable wing on a hinge that you can flip out just when doing the smaller circle, first pass around.

Your idea of the angle hyd cylinder on the quick hitch may just do the trick too. But I think it will just pull the edge of the blower back and not reach out like you want it too.

/ Deere 47 snow blower #5  
Welcome to TBN:D

My opinion is that with the very little angle you would gain because of the driveshaft angles, it would not be worth the effort. Add to that the linear actuators are expensive and VERY slow-when you want/need that chute to turn because the wind changed directions you want it to turn NOW!

/ Deere 47 snow blower #6  
Well, JD does make a 4 wheel drive AND 4 wheel steer model. With your circular driveway a wider blower would help but maybe not enough. Or you could go with a rear-steer machine for mowing and snowblowing might be your best bet.

/ Deere 47 snow blower #7  
Welcome to the forum Welcomematt :)

That is one real nice thing about the all-wheel steer (although it isn't 4wd like I believe your X585 is).
The AWS will follow the front attachments around in their path. .

When I bought my first jd, it was the 500 series, and I was looking at the all-wheel steer, but I was discourage to do so by the dealer and this is the reason he gave me, when your blowing in a strait line and want to make a left turn for example, the rear right wheel would leave the trail that the snow blower did and climb in the snow on the right. That is of course, with the front blower. Does any one have this set-up?

/ Deere 47 snow blower #8  
If you didn't believe me the AWS+AWD unit is the x729 model. It apparently has hydrostatic front wheel assist to prevent scuffing the lawn. Plus has all wheel steer.
John Deere products for homeowners: Features for X729 Ultimate Tractor

Henri, I bet the rear steer/front mount unitls might have that problem with the rear wheel swinging out into the snow for sure. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I know, but with the AWS models the rear wheel follows the front wheel. I have never driven one but I've seen plenty of them at work around town doing commercial mowing.

/ Deere 47 snow blower #9  
I have the angle hitch on my 4100. I always lock it in position when using the snowblower, but of course angle it when using the plow or broom. The driveline works fin on the broom when angled, so there is no reason to think the snowblower would not as well.

One option would be to manually angle the unit. Just drill a couple of extra holes to drop the locking pin into at various angles.

I think the best idea is to just add some kind of fold-away or removable wing to the side. If you wanted to use an actuator on that, you wouldn't have to mess with the rest of the unit.

/ Deere 47 snow blower #10  
When I bought my first jd, it was the 500 series, and I was looking at the all-wheel steer, but I was discourage to do so by the dealer and this is the reason he gave me, when your blowing in a strait line and want to make a left turn for example, the rear right wheel would leave the trail that the snow blower did and climb in the snow on the right. That is of course, with the front blower. Does any one have this set-up?

I had a x495 AWS with a 46" snowthrower. I don't recall ever having that problem. You would have to turn almost as hard as it would go to be a problem.