Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105!

/ Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105! #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
I have been saving for years. I *think* in february I will have about 4000 for a loader. tractor already has the joystick and factory plumbing for the loader, came frm factory that way.

I am not sure what options are out there. I do know JD will be probably out of my range, so I am looking at bush hog brand, and other brands.

Are there other things to look at, like curved arms, etc? what is your recommendation?

Last edited:
   / Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105! #2  
I recently went through the same process you are going through. I looked at several different brands/models and found I could purchase the Deere loader for about the same price. I have a 2WD 5105 and decided on the Deere 512 loader. It is not the quick attach loader, but I really have no reason to need to remove the loader. If I need greater forward visibility I just drop the bucket, ie...mowing. More often than not, I find that there will be some reason I needed the bucket on. I did opt for the 73" bucket instead of the standard 66". This was primarily to have the bucket be as wide as the tractor like my other implements. They state the 66" will cover the tracks, but I was able to get the dealer to throw in the larger bucket. I also chose the 512 loader because the joy stick is mounted to the loader frame and plumbed into the hydraulics without having to use either of my two rear remotes. I went ahead and had the dealer weld me three bucket hooks on before I left. Overall I have been very pleased and like the new general purpose bucket much better than the previous materials bucket. I highly recommend the bucket hooks and going with the Deere loader.

/ Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105!
did you already have the joystick like I do? I am thinking when you have the joystick and hydraulics already, this opens up other brands in the price comparison - I am guessing though and just not sure.

/ Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105! #4  
I have a 553 loader on my 5103 and love it. I paid $5700 for my loader and glad i can take it off if I want to, it only takes like 5 minutes. Came from the factory plumbed with the mid mount controls. I would go with a 512 deere if taking it off isnt an issue, but if it is then go with a 522 deere so you can remove it. I just did my 100 hr service and its a lot easier to get to the oil filter and fill hole with the loader off..... Bull

/ Help me pick a Loader for my JD 5105! #5  
did you already have the joystick like I do? I am thinking when you have the joystick and hydraulics already, this opens up other brands in the price comparison - I am guessing though and just not sure.

My tractor did not have the joystick or mid-mount remotes. If I had them I likely would have went with the 522 or 553 removable loader frame. The way I understood it was if I wanted to go with the removable frame loader I would have either had to utilize my rear remotes or added the mid-mount remotes to feed the joystick. I wanted to keep my rear remotes open and it was cost prohibitive to add the mid-mounts. I believe I negotiated my price down to around $5300 which included tax and installation and the 73" bucket. I believe I had this done in September of this year. Removal of the loader frame has so far not been issue and I don't expect it to be. Most of the people I know that buy the removable frames wind up never taking them off. It seems there are so many varied/unexpected uses for the FEL that as soon as you take it off you will find you need to put it right back on. I have been very pleased with the placement/operation of loader frame mounted joystick on the 512.