new 2305, first dislike

/ new 2305, first dislike #1  

Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
Showing the wife how to check fluid levels. Checking the engine oil is a PITA!

/ new 2305, first dislike #2  
Hi,
I don't know if they changed something but checking the engine oil on my 2305 is pretty easy you don't even have to open the hood, just pull the dipstick out the side.
Chirs

/ new 2305, first dislike #3  
I agree so much easier than on the 2210 !!!!!!!

Pull the dipstick out from the lower part of side check level of oil put dipstick back in 30sec at the most. Yes it is down low but engine is not off the ground very far,so that makes dipstick low to the ground.

Where or what is the PITA !!!

/ new 2305, first dislike #4  
Showing the wife how to check fluid levels. Checking the engine oil is a PITA!

Cider: Not sure if they changed anything but my 2005 2305 is just as ChrsDrn said. A quick check when cold and I don't even raise the hood. It's as easy as my 3720 is.

/ new 2305, first dislike
Tried it "by the book". The dipstick top is about even with the bottom of the side cowling. I can check it without pulling the hood, but it is not as simple as the 4520. Reaching through / around the fel doesn't help the matter either. If this turns out to be my only dislike it's still a winner.

/ new 2305, first dislike #6  
Hope that dipstick has SOMETHING in front of it. I had the dipstick on my Gravely pulled out by some brush. I learned to turn it so that the loop in the top of it was right up against the engine block.

Ralph

/ new 2305, first dislike #7  
Hmmm... If you think checking the oil is a PITA you should really know about the transmission cooling fan.

Searching here for "2305 cooling fan" should get you an eyeful.

Congrats on your new machine. I knew about the fan and still bought one, but I do not bush hog with mine.

-Bill

/ new 2305, first dislike
I've been reading about the fan issues. I have the 4520 to do the big hogging with. I see where a guy on ebay is selling custom fan shields for the 2305. I may buy one if only as cheap insurance. The wife unit is the primary op of the 2305 and I don't see her dropping the mower deck that much.

Over all I still like it.

/ new 2305, first dislike #9  
Tom;

Just roll that shiny, new, 2305 into a container van in Tacoma. I'd be glad to help check the oil for ya'! :D

AKfish