3520 cab frozen door latch

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch #1  

yooper68

Tractor
JD 3520 Cab
Wondering if anyone else has had ice problem with their door latch on 3520 cab? I leave the tractor outside in the winter, so there is almost always snow on the roof. As I am running it to plow snow, the snow melts and drips right onto the latch (much of it right near the "button") and freezes. It dropped below 10 degrees F last week and froze up so bad I'm having to use the "emergency" door (for some reason doesn't have as much problem). I'm thinking of making a little "gutter" to divert the drips or a rubber protector over the outer door latch/handle. Anyone with ideas? Thanks

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch #2  
Spray it with Fluid Film to keep the water out?

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch #3  
The window latches on the camper shell on my pickup were always doing that - freezing in place and darn near impossible to open.

One day I was looking for some new LED lights for my trailer at a Camper/Trailer supply house and they had those rubber boots that cover the handles.

That was the ticket!

AKfish

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch #4  
Mine sleeps outside in a "tarp garage"...I've never had the problem you describe, but every fall I make a habit of wiping down all the door gaskets and such with pure silicone spray...
I do the same on my vehicles....

NAPA_8300______.jpg

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch #5  
Hmmm, thanks I did not think of doing that.

/ 3520 cab frozen door latch
thanks for the help, fellows. I will dry it out with hair dryer, then spray everything down. Will also look for the boots that AKfish mentioned. I think that is really what I need. I'm trying to determine is something is wrong with the latch, as it works just fine from the inside; just can't get in by pushing the button from the outside. Will keep going in the other door until I get it figured out - just hope that button don't freeze up or I'll have to climb through the back window :(