Replacing steering wheel bearings on 855

/ Replacing steering wheel bearings on 855 #1  

kimodc

Bronze Member
Has anyone replaced the steering wheel bearings on a jd855? My wheel has a fair amount of play in it and I was wondering how difficult a job it might be. I haven't look at it a lot, other then take the wheel off. Can the bearing be replaced from the top, or does the whole steering control need to be taken off and the shaft need to be pulled out from the other end? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kim

/ Replacing steering wheel bearings on 855 #2  
My column was also loose at the top when I got my 855 with 1100hrs last year. Not a big problem to me besides the vibration noise when I was off the tractor. What I did to temporarly "fix" the issue was to insert a thin piece of sheet between the shaft and what looks like a bushing/bearing and it worked well so far. Of course I lubricated it and will probably fix it for good if the problem comes back.
BTW the bearing kit part number is AM107081. It costs 6.25 and should be able to pull it out from the top with a puller but I have not done it. I am also curious to hear from some that might have done it?