JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #1  

dklistul

Bronze Member
Tractor
A 1995 770 Compact and a 1937 B
Last July, I set up a search on eBay for a mid PTO kit for my 770. Looks like I finally found one and it's on its way.

Now, once I get that in, it'll be time to start looking for a mid-mount mower for it. I have ag tires all around on it and no, I won't be mowing turf. I have a little over 2 acres of natural grass that I have to keep cut to fend off the fire risk (we're more than 10 miles from the nearest firehouse). Being all natural, the ground is quite rough and my riding mower just beats me to he!! and back several times a year; mowing with my 770 would be so much more pleasant.

So, what mowers will fit under the 770? I'm guessing a 60-inch deck would be about the max I'd want on this. Does anyone have JD model numbers that will work (or any other manufacturer, for that matter).

I'm also going to consider a front-mount snow blower if I can find one. Any clues on what will fit my 770?

Thanks in advance.

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #2  
You might think about asking your dealer what fits that macine as far as mowers go.

Good find on the mid-pto. Be advised, it is not a bolt on kit, if it was anything like my 4400 you need to take the back cover of the trans off, install a new shaft and a few bearings.

Wayne

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #3  
You might think about asking your dealer what fits that macine as far as mowers go.

Good find on the mid-pto. Be advised, it is not a bolt on kit, if it was anything like my 4400 you need to take the back cover of the trans off, install a new shaft and a few bearings.

Wayne

This was available for the 790 for years (770 is a very close but slightly smaller and less powerful version of the 790). I looked into it but decided to pass since I decided not to buy the implements requiring the mid-PTO.
This was always a dealer installed option for the 790 and it's not an overly involved procedure (the instructions were in an attached file on TBN a few years back). Mostly a bolt-on and I don't believe any bearings are replaced (been a few years since I read the instructions though).
Finding a mid-mount mower shouldn't be too challenging. Finding the hardware (brackets and such) might be, but if dklistul is handy, they can be fabricated locally.
There are interference problems with the mid-mount mowers and 790s with industrial tires. The 770 has smaller tires, so this may not be a problem but I suggest dklistul looks into it before purchasing a mower.
Before spending the money for a mid-mount mower, please realize this would be a finishing mower built for lawns, not fields. dklistul may want to consider a rotary cutter (770 can easily handle a 60" cutter if common sense is used) rather then that expensive mid-mount. A rough field will result in a lot of scalping and other detrimental problems with a finishing mower...if other words, if the field is beating up your riding mower, its going to beat up your mid-mount mower just as badly. The main difference is repairs to a Deere mid-mount mower will cost a heck of a lot more.

Last edited:
   / JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #4  
I've got a 770 and use a 5' finishing mower to cut about 5 acres. I've also got a 5' bush hog that I use for rougher work. They work very well for me.

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements
This was available for the 790 for years (770 is a very close but slightly smaller and less powerful version of the 790). I looked into it but decided to pass since I decided not to buy the implements requiring the mid-PTO.
This was always a dealer installed option for the 790 and it's not an overly involved procedure (the instructions were in an attached file on TBN a few years back). Mostly a bolt-on and I don't believe any bearings are replaced (been a few years since I read the instructions though).
Finding a mid-mount mower shouldn't be too challenging. Finding the hardware (brackets and such) might be, but if dklistul is handy, they can be fabricated locally.
There are interference problems with the mid-mount mowers and 790s with industrial tires. The 770 has smaller tires, so this may not be a problem but I suggest dklistul looks into it before purchasing a mower.
Before spending the money for a mid-mount mower, please realize this would be a finishing mower built for lawns, not fields. dklistul may want to consider a rotary cutter (770 can easily handle a 60" cutter if common sense is used) rather then that expensive mid-mount. A rough field will result in a lot of scalping and other detrimental problems with a finishing mower...if other words, if the field is beating up your riding mower, its going to beat up your mid-mount mower just as badly. The main difference is repairs to a Deere mid-mount mower will cost a heck of a lot more.

I don't think the installation will be too difficult. It's mostly a bolt-on thing that goes under the transmission. Looks like the clutch linkage adjustment is the trickiest part but I should be up to that challenge.

I know the MMM is going to be a finish mower. But that's essentially what I'm using under my riding mower now. So I've already scalped the high spots and they've since grown back nicely.

The trouble with the roughness isn't so much that it's beating up my riding mower; it's that I'm getting beat up. My back and kidneys are screaming after a couple hours on that thing with its small wheels. So if I can do it with my 770, it'll be a much more pleasant experience.

I had a 5' 3-point mower that I tried to use. Trouble is, my place is a very unusually shaped piece of ground. There are lots of places where there just isn't room to drive a tractor into and turn around with that long thing on the back. So I spent a LOT of time backing into places just to mow the grass in there. A MMM will make life a lot better. This tractor (sans my FEL and a mower on the back) turns in an amazingly short radius, even without differential braking.

I have a neighbor who uses a 6' MMM on a 1070 on his place and it does a nice job.

Dan

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #6  
Where are you located? I have a 72" JD MMM that I used to run under my 1070.

Where are you located? I have a 72" JD MMM that I used to run under my 1070.

I'm about 70 miles southeast of Denver, CO. As much as I would like to take a 6 foot cut, I'm afraid it might be a little too big for my 24 HP 770, wouldn't it?

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #8  
I have a 60" JD Seven Iron MMM from my 4400 that I'm looking to sell. I have no idea if it will fit your 770 but it might. Mower is almost new. Contact me if your interested.

/ JD 770 Mid PTO and Related Implements #9  
I'm about 70 miles southeast of Denver, CO.

When did Punkin Center get a suburb named Donut Center? :rolleyes:

I looked into a 72" MMM for my 4200 years ago, and after watching the JD video I got when I bought my tractor on how to install and remove a MMM, I said the heck with having one. It looked like too much hassle. The mower's price factored into it also.

I have a 60" JD Seven Iron MMM from my 4400 that I'm looking to sell. I have no idea if it will fit your 770 but it might. Mower is almost new. Contact me if your interested.

Let me look into it. In the meantime, be thinking about what you need for it. I'd need everything; the mower, the shaft, the mount/lift linkages, etc.