jd 2240 ( 1979? )

/ jd 2240 ( 1979? ) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I'm working on my fathers 1979? jd 2240 tractor. He went to bushhog the other day and the pto started slipping.

I changed the canister filter , and the intake screen tube for the tranny... was quite gunky rith a few chunky bits.. also, there was some oil/water emulsion ( I think the tranny shifter boot leaked ). Anyway, I changed the oil, and flushed the hydraulics and remotes out, and changed the filters, and noticed that the pto will still slip. This model has the independent 'hydro engaged' pto flip up lever under the steering wheel, as opposed to the pto lever on the left floorboard. From what I have observed, only the pto slips.. the drivetrain isn't slipping at all.

I called our local dealer, and was told it was one of two things. 1st, it could the the clutch for the independent pto is worn, or 2nd that there may be an o-ring leak in the high pressure side of the tranny somewhere, not letting the hydraulic clutch packs fully engage, or engage with enough pressure.

Both seem plausible, and both I know will require a tractor split. Is this something I should try to do at home, or is this better left up to dealer service. The mechanic where I work will be there to assist me, and he has diesel engine experience, as well as lots of experience with final drives, diffs, and rear ends, etc.
Ideas? comments?

thanks,

Soundguy