Oil & Fuel Does this sound like gelled fuel?

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
I have a JD 5105 utility tractor, 2006 model, bought new in early 2007. It has been mostly trouble-free and until recently has always started. For the first two years of ownership I used it a lot, but for various reasons I probably used it only about 30 hours in 2009. I used it with no problems in November (weather in 50's), then tried to start it up again about a week ago (January) on a 20-25 degree day. It would start and run for maybe 20-30 seconds at idle, then die. It would die almost immediately if I advanced the throttle. It did this two or three times and then wouldn't start up again, at all. It was still cranking OK. I also tried heating the engine area with a propane radiant heater for close to an hour, and that made no difference. I also added 5 gallons of fuel that was thoroughly treated with anti-gel (Power Service) and this didn't make a difference.

I tried again on a day that was around 34 degrees and it wouldn't start.

I used very little fuel last year and the fuel in it was summer fuel, purchased probably in July. I don't remember adding any anti-gel or winter fuel to it, until after I had trouble starting it last week. My guess is that the un-treated summer diesel gelled, that my fuel filter had some fuel that was still liquid but I used that up in the idle time, and now my fuel lines are full of either air or gelled fuel. The treated fuel in the tank probably has not had a way to get into the fuel lines and filter.

Does my guess sound correct?

Should I just wait for a 40+ day? Will I need to re-prime the fuel system based on my description of what has been done? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I have read the owner's manual on fuel system issues but it doesn't seem to address my problem.

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #2  
I'm no expert but doubt it's gelling, If you used it so little maybe check air filter, just a wild guess but maybe some critters got in there and made a nest?

That is a good theory about sucking up the gel into the lines, could be possible I guess, since I think it's the impurities that would gel so after it warmed there might not be much good fuel in there???

I've got old summer fuel in one machine and it starts right up, it's older high hour machine that's an ornery starter anyway but still starts even in the 20's

JB.

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #3  
I doubt very much if it is gelled fuel at 34 deg or even a few deg lower. It could be frozen water in the fuel filter or line. I've put a heating pad around the filter for gelled fuel to get the tractor started but that was at or around zero deg.

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #4  
Could be wax plugging up the fuel filter.....change the fuel filter. Power Service also makes a '911' product in a Red bottle which is more of an emergency type fuel additive. The regular Power Service in the white bottle is more of an ongoing maintenence additive.

Don

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #5  
I have a JD 5105 utility tractor, 2006 model, bought new in early 2007. It has been mostly trouble-free and until recently has always started. For the first two years of ownership I used it a lot, but for various reasons I probably used it only about 30 hours in 2009. I used it with no problems in November (weather in 50's), then tried to start it up again about a week ago (January) on a 20-25 degree day. It would start and run for maybe 20-30 seconds at idle, then die. It would die almost immediately if I advanced the throttle. It did this two or three times and then wouldn't start up again, at all. It was still cranking OK. I also tried heating the engine area with a propane radiant heater for close to an hour, and that made no difference. I also added 5 gallons of fuel that was thoroughly treated with anti-gel (Power Service) and this didn't make a difference.

I tried again on a day that was around 34 degrees and it wouldn't start.

I used very little fuel last year and the fuel in it was summer fuel, purchased probably in July. I don't remember adding any anti-gel or winter fuel to it, until after I had trouble starting it last week. My guess is that the un-treated summer diesel gelled, that my fuel filter had some fuel that was still liquid but I used that up in the idle time, and now my fuel lines are full of either air or gelled fuel. The treated fuel in the tank probably has not had a way to get into the fuel lines and filter.

Does my guess sound correct?

Should I just wait for a 40+ day? Will I need to re-prime the fuel system based on my description of what has been done? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I have read the owner's manual on fuel system issues but it doesn't seem to address my problem.

I have a 2004 317 John Deere skid loader acted exactly the same way. Temp also in 20"s didnt think it was near cold enough to gel but put knipco on engine compartment and changed fuel filter never had luck not changing filter once fuel has gelled up.Had a heck of a time getting started again even after priming the system!
After all that still had the same problem.Next step there was also an in line filter I changed ,solved the problem. Ended up doing this twice, been a year havent had a problem since Must have been a bad batch of fuel.Dont know if this will help or not.

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel?
I haven't changed the fuel filter lately; have less than 200 hours total and I don't think it's yet indicated. However, with the comments about that it sounds like a good place to start.

I looked at the "Diesel 911" hoping it would fix my problem, but it didn't look very useful after reading all the directions and statements about what it doesn't do. If you're taking the fuel filter off anyway (required for Diesel 911), why not just fill it with anti-gel treated fuel instead of with Diesel 911?

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #8  
My would rev up but when I was using my hoe and running around 2200 rpm sometimes it would just all but quit running. Then rpms would go right back up to normal outside temp 40-50 I hadn't added anything to fuel and we did have a few cold days now in the 20's ,this was back in Oct-Nov time frame...So I added power service and it was still acting up Had somewhere around 200hr... so I changed fuel filter been fine everysince I would chg fuel filter......

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #9  
Most JD's have 2 fuel filters. Change out both (well, just clean the 1st one at the tank). Did you see anything that remotely looked like "cloudy honey"? Or suspended material that appeared a little like "cotton"?

That would be parafin. And that's what gums up the fuel system.

Tow your tractor into the garage or shop. Turn up the heat to 72 degrees and wait. (When the green dough begins to rise - toss into the oven.. :D)

If you can't get it to a heated shop - fill your filters with a mix of 911 and diesel. I build a makeshift shroud and heat with a NipCo type heater. After an hour or so - try the starter.

If your tractor has been sitting for an extended period of time, outside, with summer blend fuel and it's been cold - below zero - the parafin will gell - and will remain in the fuel system until the machine warms up to 40-50 degrees for several days. (I'd bet your tractor has seen 50 degrees for a few months..)

Good luck.

AKfish

/ Does this sound like gelled fuel? #10  
If you have 200 hours on the fuel filter, replace it. Trying to dissolve the paraffin trapped in the filter media with 911 or a similar treatment might work, but you really are just asking for aggravation. Replace the filter, treat the fuel, and move on.