2720 Finally Arrives!

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #1  

JJKJ

Bronze Member
Well today was the big day; my 2720 finally made it to it's new home. :) The dealer had been waiting for the mower deck, ballast box and 61" bucket for the FEL. Unfortunately none of those items had shown up by today. We both decided it was time to go ahead and deliver it without the FEL or mower installed. I really need it for plowing during this time of year anyway so waiting a bit for the FEL and mower won't be a big deal.

As a recap, here's what I ordered:

2720 with R4's, aux lighting kit front and rear, and independent lift
200CX loader with 61" bucket (not here yet)
Ballast box (not here yet)
62D mower deck (not here yet)
54" Quickhitch front blade
I-match
2" 3-pt hitch receiver (not here yet)

Of course I went and played in the snow a bit. I had already cleared most of the snow on the drive but I used my new tractor to push back some of the piles I had accumulated. I was very impressed with the traction in 4wd. I was almost trying to get the tractor stuck in some of the deeper stuff and it just didn't happen. My X500 would've been stuck for sure. Only once did I get the 2720 in a spot that felt a bit like it may be stuck, but I engaged the diff lock and it pulled right out. I also pushed back some of my drifts while trying out plowing in high gear. I think I'll be able to push an easy 4-5" of snow in high if I desire. Exactly what I was looking for.

I really look forward to getting the FEL and start getting comfortable using it.

My wife really likes the tractor. She took a turn sitting on it but didn't drive it yet. She thinks we got the perfect size and that the 3320 I was considering would've been a bit too big. At this point I agree and I'm sure I'll be able to accomplish all the chores I want with this tractor.

One thing I didn't anticipate was how nice power steering would be. It really made manuevering much easier.

I've included the obligatory new tractor pics. I've also included a couple that may be of interest. As I mentioned in a different thread on the fwd aux lights, the owner's manual container does interfere with aiming the left fwd aux light. I did try the lights at night and the current aim is fine, but I think I'm going to remove the container so I can aim the light a more towards center. I took a pic of the lights so you can see what I'm referring to. I also took a pic of the independent lift control for the mower deck. I was very suprised by the location of the deck height knob. I was told by everyone that the knob would be located down near the brake pedals. Apparantly JD changed this setup and it is now located at the base of the ROPS as shown. I'm very happy with this setup, and I think it alleviates any regret I have over not choosing the 2320 with its integrated deck height control.

For your viewing pleasure: :)

(P.S. disregard the embarassingly dirty truck in the background. We had some very sloppy weather followed by extreme cold, so it hasn't gotten it's much-needed cleaning.)

TheNewJohnDeere006.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere003.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere002.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere007.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere008.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere009.jpg

TheNewJohnDeere010.jpg

A pic of the aux lights and owner's manual container:

TheNewJohnDeere005.jpg

A pic of the location of the independent lift mower deck height knob:

TheNewJohnDeere004.jpg

John

Last edited:
   / 2720 Finally Arrives! #2  
Congratulations on a beautiful machine!:D:D

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #3  
Great set up, bet you can't wait to get everything home.:cool:

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #5  
Very nice machine...how did you get the wife to keep her car outside and the tractor in the garage? I got a tractor but the truck went outside:eek:

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #6  
Sweet tractor (and truck).

Congratulations. I think you will love it.

You may find that you need a little more traction when you try pushing deeper snow. 800lb in the weight box will take care of that issue.

You might also consider swapping your rear wheels to the "wide" setting when your loader gets here, just for a little more stability.

Have fun and be safe.

/ 2720 Finally Arrives!
Nice tractor. I've always liked the 2x20 model line.

Thanks. As you know I'm a big fan of your 3320 as well. You can see in my pic of the aux lights the clearance issue I mentioned in your thread. I'm going to pull the owner's manual container off today.

Very nice machine...how did you get the wife to keep her car outside and the tractor in the garage? I got a tractor but the truck went outside:eek:

:) I didn't get to keep it in the garage long. I just had it there so I could look it over in the comfort of a warm location. I later moved it down to the barn where it will stay normally.

Sweet tractor (and truck).

Congratulations. I think you will love it.

You may find that you need a little more traction when you try pushing deeper snow. 800lb in the weight box will take care of that issue.

You might also consider swapping your rear wheels to the "wide" setting when your loader gets here, just for a little more stability.

Have fun and be safe.

Good point on swapping the rear wheels; I hadn't put that on my list yet. It is now. :) I agree that the ballast will help--I hope the box arrives soon.

No one has commented on the independent lift mower height knob location yet. Is this the location that is normal or is this a new location? The delivery guy said he's never seen it there before, and as I said I was suprised.

John

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #8  
No one has commented on the independent lift mower height knob location yet. Is this the location that is normal or is this a new location? The delivery guy said he's never seen it there before, and as I said I was suprised.

Congrats on your new arrival.

I have also been thinking about getting the front mounted blade to remove snow. It is kind of a pain to use the loader for snow removal.

Our 2520 knob is in the same location. We bought it new in 6-2007. We had problems with the deck falling out. In our case, we have to keep the scv in the float position to work properly. This lets the deck go up and down other wise it is in a fixed position and the tractor will put all of its weight on the deck and attaching hardware.

When our tractor was delivered the rear wheels were in the narrow position. After the first mowing I noticed the inside of the right rear tire had a groove cut into it. Had to move the wheels to the wide postion to fix the rubbing issue.

Last edited:
   / 2720 Finally Arrives! #9  
Looking good John!:)
Glad to see yours was delivered with the new style lower arms. I was considering the independent,but passed for now.
Do you know what they charged for that and what is involved?
I am definitely going to get the front blade,can't talk the wife into letting me get a new one though:( When you angle the blade are you running over alot of unplowed snow?
Again congrats on your new tractor.

PS: The SE seat would look real perty too:)

Greg

/ 2720 Finally Arrives! #10  
Thanks. As you know I'm a big fan of your 3320 as well. You can see in my pic of the aux lights the clearance issue I mentioned in your thread. I'm going to pull the owner's manual container off today.

Thanks. I see what you mean about the interference, but I'm glad it will all work out good for you.

:cool: