JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #1  

DonG

Tractor
John Deere 4200
I just purchased a 4200 HST 4x4 with 400 hrs and it will not pull itself in HI range on level ground.
It has plenty of power in low A range, and the bucket works well, but it will not even run in HI gear two wheel drive.
I thought the engine was just cold when I first checked it out and it wouldn't run in HI, but after working with it up to temp it still will not pull itself in HI gear. The engine starts and runs great, just bogs down in HI gear.
I need to pull a hay-ride trailer with this tractor and it won't even pull itself in HI range.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #2  
Check the hydro fluid first and see if the level is correct. I have seen the brakes on/stuck and it will pull in low and med but not in high its worth a look. My Kubota will over power the brakes in Low and Med range but it makes more whiney noises but it will struggle to pull away with the brakes locked in high.. If that is not the problem I would check/change the hydraulic filters and see if that makes a difference. You bought it used so I wonder if it has been serviced? HSTs are usually trouble free and the problems are usually fluid flow issues.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

Check the brakes...the 4x00 series has a habit of breaking the little brake return springs at each wheel hub, and the shaft that goes through the hub often sticks causing the brakes to drag.

Also...when was the fluid/filter last changed and the suction screen cleaned? Do you even know what fluid is in it? Star with the basics...

One other thing-C range is a "road gear", not intended to pull heavy loads with...kind of like a "overdrive"

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #4  
The 4200 tractor was criticized for lacking power (considering the size and weight of the machine). IIRC, it has about 28 Engine HP and 23 or 24 PTO HP. Not much for a 3000 lb machine..and hydro makes it worse.
Your complaint about lack of pulling in high range was the same complaints I read on TBN in 2001.
Sounds like the nature of the beast.

As KennyD wrote...high range is "road" gear, so don't expect much pulling power.

BTW, as a comparison only, my 790 has 27 engine HP and 24 at the PTO. It weighs about 2700 lbs with the loader installed. It pulls strong in 4th gear High (or 8th gear, if you will). But that's just transporting on the road with a 600 lb cutter on the 3PH, so no actual working load on the tractor.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range
Yes it feels like brakes dragging. That was my first thought. I just have to figure out the linkages, and try some adjustments.
The hyd fluid level is good. That was checked before I loaded it, and again after I got home. Plenty of power on the front loader, and no loud whine.
I will closely look into the brakes first thing tomorrow.
THANKS EVERYONE!
This is a great forum.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #6  
Don,

Register (for free) at www.jdparts.com It has all the parts listings...same as the system the dealers have;)

Look at the breakdown below, #18 is the springs I mentioned, there is one on each side. Once you find those, you will see the shaft that goes through the hub...It gets seized over time-especially since the brakes on these machines aren't used much. PB Blaster and or Fluid Film are great options to get them moving freely.

Attachments

• 4200-1.gif
    4200-1.gif
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,857
   / JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #7  
My new used JD 4200 is also quite sluggish in third gear on anything but level ground.

Used HST fluid makes for very good oiling.:D

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range
It was the brakes. Both wheels brakes were hung up. Springs were there, but just not strong enough. Once I rotated the brake shaft in the rear diff and freed it up they started working, almost. One side needed a booster spring added to return the brake to neutral after letting off the brake pedal.
Mostly just not used enough, oiled and cleaned properly.
The machine now runs strong in high gear and mid gear.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #9  
That news was good to hear. :)

The power of TBN.

I''ve a 4300, and am glad to know I need to keep those springs in mind.

I was wondering about the transmission filter and the screen. Those early tractors (mine was '99 production) had an inordinate amount of debris found in the hyd. oil screen, to the point it was recommended to clean it at first hyd. oil change around 50 hours. I did, and found the screen with a heavy layer of filings. Subsequent to this, there were some major cleaning steps added at the factory to get milling debris problems reduced.
At 400 hours, a hyd. fluid change might be a good idea to consider (if it hasn't been done). About 7-8 gallons of fluid there.

/ JD 4200 HST won't run HI gear range #10  
Thanks for the tip on those springs. Another to do list item I need to add.