5300 losing power/stalling.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #1  

exiled

Silver Member
I've never had my tractor on the road to have it in high speed. I run my tractor in the "B" selection. Most times in 2nd. Yesterday I was moving hay around and fuel was getting low. I got a wild hair and decided to drive the tractor to the store. On the street I shifted into "C" and 3rd and it took out fine. I was kinda surprised at the speed. 1/2 mile later at the 1st stop sign when i took out it lopped pretty bad so I hit the clutch. when I let out again I just tried to ride it out, but it died. It sounded and felt like if you take out in a car in a high gear. So I dropped to 2nd then 1st. both acted the same. I drove back home in "B" 3rd and just went got my fuel in the truck. Not a real big deal cause I dont get on the road but I'm worried it might be a sign of a problem. My 1st thought was a head gasket and losing compression. Today I thought about a riding lawn mower I had about 10 yrs. ago that you could ride anywhere but would die when you ingage the blades. That was a govener problem.
Does anybody have any ideas or know ways to trouble shot this problem. Any feedback will be appreciated.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #2  
I've never had my tractor on the road to have it in high speed. I run my tractor in the "B" selection. Most times in 2nd. Yesterday I was moving hay around and fuel was getting low. I got a wild hair and decided to drive the tractor to the store. On the street I shifted into "C" and 3rd and it took out fine. I was kinda surprised at the speed. 1/2 mile later at the 1st stop sign when i took out it lopped pretty bad so I hit the clutch. when I let out again I just tried to ride it out, but it died. It sounded and felt like if you take out in a car in a high gear. So I dropped to 2nd then 1st. both acted the same. I drove back home in "B" 3rd and just went got my fuel in the truck. Not a real big deal cause I dont get on the road but I'm worried it might be a sign of a problem. My 1st thought was a head gasket and losing compression. Today I thought about a riding lawn mower I had about 10 yrs. ago that you could ride anywhere but would die when you ingage the blades. That was a govener problem.
Does anybody have any ideas or know ways to trouble shot this problem. Any feedback will be appreciated.

I assume this is a diesel engine. The fuel being low and running it even lower makes me think its a fuel starvation issue. I would change the filters and flush the fuel line out and make sure it flows free from the tank to the filter. You will have to bleed the air out of the fuel system betore restarting.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling.
Sorry, I really dint mean the fuel was low as in about to run out. It still had 1/4 tank. Ok for the converstion sake, how will the fuel starvation apply to high gear and not mid gear?

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #4  
Does it do it now that you have filled the tank? I am just wondering if the guage is not accurate. Could the fuel have sloshed away from the fuel pickup and sucked some air and the was back in the fuel in lower range?? I think you need to try it again on the road full of fuel.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #5  
Sorry, I really dint mean the fuel was low as in about to run out. It still had 1/4 tank. Ok for the converstion sake, how will the fuel starvation apply to high gear and not mid gear?

High gear is more of a load for a longer duration and the fuel required would outrun the fuel that is able to flow through a restricted fuel filter. So with low RPMs it may run fine and when you put it under a heavier load requiring more fuel it starts starving for fuel. Deisel engines require compression, fuel, and air. I would also check the air filter for good measure. If it is starving for air it puts out more black smoke(unburned fuel) as well as not as much power.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #6  
Sounds like checking the filter/sediment bowl for water (if not already done).

/ 5300 losing power/stalling.
Thanks guys on yalls thoughts. Yes it still stalls in high gear. I dint think to add that I kept trying yesterday and today. No black smoke or odd smells. Several times a month I drain the water separator, but i dont know what or where the sediment bowl is. I will be asking my best friend goggle though. However I do understand the fuel starvation under a restricted circumstance. I just dint understand it on fuel level in the tank. As far as the fuel moving away from pickup I really doubt it cause I spent a few minutes after failed attemts to get back running scratching my head. Plus the tractor fired right away.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #8  
The separator will be the sediment bowl.
Unless there may be debris in the fuel tank that is getting in the way.

Sounds fuel related.
Can you give us a short rundown on the history of the tractor...age, conditions stored, hours, etc.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #9  
After you came to a stop you had the problem? Check to see if your brakes are binding and engaged. In high gear you may not have the torque to pull off with stuck brakes.

Just a guess.

/ 5300 losing power/stalling. #10  
Cocre
That might be a good guess on your part. Read here of someone else having a problem with stuck brakes, and had to replace a return spring and loosen up some "joints".