Tires Keeping air in small front tires

/ Keeping air in small front tires #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
I ran the left front tire off the rim again. Did it when the tractor was nearly new. Got it back on and put Slime in both fronts then.

The problem is that these small front tires (typical on 2305, 2210, 2205, 4010, etc.) don't seem to hold air too well. Just before going out today, I checked both of them. The right front was down to 10! The left front that was just aired up after being remounted a couple days ago and aired to 25 was down to about 17. I aired both of them up to around 22-25 to have some leeway on the required 20 for FEL work.

How do you keep air in these? The rears (liquid mostly) are no problem.

Ralph

/ Keeping air in small front tires #3  
Manufacturers don't mount tires tubeless because it is better, they do it because they can, and it is cheaper.
Get over the notion that tractor tires should be tubeless and get tubes installed, or do it yourself. Problem solved.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #4  
Ralph, I'd replace the valve cores on both front tires as a start...the core (inside), not the stem. They do wear out.
Also, cold weather tends to make tires lose pressure. The smaller volume in the front tires makes it more noticable.
For you folks who use your loaders...make sure you increase the pressure in those front tires when you're using the loader. There's a lot of weight on those fronts and it's easy to run them right off the rims. If you see the sidewalls bulging out at the lower part of the tires, you need to up the pressure.
This includes those of you who (like me) are using the loader to move snow.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #5  
Manufacturers don't mount tires tubeless because it is better, they do it because they can, and it is cheaper.
Get over the notion that tractor tires should be tubeless and get tubes installed, or do it yourself. Problem solved.

I agree. That's what I did on my X748SE 2 years ago. No problems since.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #6  
Slime will work fine. I have a large Snap-on tools box with pneumatic tubeless "rear" tires. They were always going flat over time. A bit of Slime and they stay up.

I took each tire/wheel combo off, bled the air out, put some Slime in, filled with air, and bounced the thing around to spread the stuff around. I put them back on the toolbox and have not added any air in months.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #7  
More slime and use higher pressures. ?? Then Tube??

Consider getting an inexpensive [$10.00] 12 volt air compressor that rides on the tractor.:D

/ Keeping air in small front tires #8  
I pinched one of my fronts. It is now booted and tubed and weaker than before. I recently dinged the rim on the same tire. I'd really like to see a decent 10 wide tire on the 3000-20's rather than the skinny 8's.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #9  

Said it better than I didn't in another post but people still disagreed about them saving money.

/ Keeping air in small front tires #10  
I have not had any problems with mine, bought new in 03. I put "Lin-Seal" in mine. I could probably count on one hand how many times I have put air in them. Usually in the spring. Not saying that is the best, but you have a leak.
On drag racing slicks, we coat the inside of tire with Dawn dish soap before mounting. That slows down thye amount of air that leaks through the side.
My $.02