Question about a design

/ Question about a design #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
Hi all You JD owners, can anyone explain to me the reason being of such a goofy looking design of a tractor? I mean I've seen a Lot of weired looking tractors and most are self explanatory, when seeing them jacked way up for crop rows etc,etc,. but I cannot figure this one out? :D
it's a '41 JD-L

Last edited:
   / Question about a design #2  
Hi all You JD owners, can anyone explain to me the reason being of such a goofy looking design of a tractor? I mean I've seen a Lot of weired looking tractors and most are self explanatory, when seeing them jacked way up for crop rows etc,etc,. but I cannot figure this one out?
it's a '41 JD-L

I'm going to take a guess...two guesses, actually...
First, the L was a lower priced tractor and used less steel in it's manufacture.
The second guess is this tractor was built during the WW II era and steel was prioritized to the war effort. This design definitely used less steel.

Maybe one of the old iron aficionados will step up and educate us all.

/ Question about a design #3  
My guess, the "L" has the culitvators up front and without all that sheet steel it would make it easier to see when cultivating.

Also remember at the time these "L"s came out most farmers were still using horse/mule. I am sure the simple open design made it easier for that transition from mule to tractor.

My grandfather gave up on mule farming in the early 40's and bought an "L". He sold his mule and bought an "L". A few months later that mule returned home only to get sold again. Once again it happened. He always joke about that "one mule" paid for that little "L"

/ Question about a design #4  
My guess, the "L" has the culitvators up front and without all that sheet steel it would make it easier to see when cultivating.

Also remember at the time these "L"s came out most farmers were still using horse/mule. I am sure the simple open design made it easier for that transition from mule to tractor.

My grandfather gave up on mule farming in the early 40's and bought an "L". He sold his mule and bought an "L". A few months later that mule returned home only to get sold again. Once again it happened. He always joke about that "one mule" paid for that little "L"

I got a good chuckle outta that story...! :D

There were 2 other tractor's of that time that looked very similar as well. Allis Chalmers and International Harvester both came out with machines that were configured with frame mounted cultivators. The low valley between the engine and the seat was were the cultivator was mounted.

AKfish

/ Question about a design #5  
Here is some info I got in a book call ''The John Deere Tractor'' by Randy Leffingwell. I'm just going to quotes bits and pieces on the L model.

Deer felt there was a need for something even smaller than the model B: a one plow tractor. Willard Nordenson a Deer and Company engineer, was given the challenge to produce a tractor out of existing parts and pieces for large estates, golf courses, and even cemeteries. Nordenson went outsides Deere for a Hercules 2 cylinder engine that he mounted upright. He couple it to a Ford's Model A automobile transmission. The familiar H-shift pattern and foot clutch were selling points to non-agriculture operators who had previous experience with automobiles but none with tractors. To keep the Model L compact in length, the engine and operator were offset on opposite sides of the centerline. The tractor was introduced Unstyled in 1938 and replaced in 1939 with the Styled version. The Hercules engine was replace by Deere's own 2 cylinder. The cost $545.00 in 1941
Model L : intended to pull one 12'' plow. Deere Engine rated 7hp at the drawbar and 10.4 hp at the belt at 1480rpm.

/ Question about a design #6  
I think that's a fairly small tractor.
You can see over the top and to each side of the engine fairly well.

The 48 series is kinda funny looking, too.
Funnier yet is someone just 4 feet 11 and 1/2 inches tall driving it.

/ Question about a design #7  
And we all thought SCUTs were a new thing.:)

/ Question about a design
I knew you guy's would have a logical explanation for such a design built tractor, I guess building this L series to replace the mule drawn plows was an advance in technology for sure, Even though as funky as it looks it would beat the heck out of looking at the hind end of an ***** all day while plowing:D
oops! can I say that when referring to a Mule:(