Economy PTO Question

/ Economy PTO Question #1  

TCR78

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 210K
We are awaiting delivery of our 5083E and was wondering about the 540E setting on the PTO. One of the jobs our tractor will be doing most is pulling a Barber 400HD surf rake, on which the conveyor is indirectly PTO driven. It actually drives a hydraulic pump which in turn drives the belt. None of the info that I have read including JD's website get too specific about the 540E setting. The 5083 is 65hp at the PTO but that is at 2400rpm, E mode is at 1700rpm I think, but it doesn't give the hp. Barber says this rake requires a minimum of 35hp at the PTO. I am wondering, will we be able to use the economy mode when running the surf rake?

/ Economy PTO Question #2  
You can probably power it. There is little in the JB manual about 540E. I use it with low power requirement implements (sickle mower, tedder) if I'm not in a hurry. You can tell if you're lugging the engine. I really don't use it that often.

/ Economy PTO Question #3  
I would think 540e would work for you. There are no specific spec on the 540 setting that I can find. As long as you can run it without bogging the engine excessively, you should be fine. I would guess the pto power at around 50hp for 540e.

/ Economy PTO Question #4  
I would expect that you would have adequate HP to run that rake in E pto if only 35 HP min. is required. My 5425 with the same pto hp will operate every every pto driven implement I have no problem using economy setting.

I believe you still have about 45-50 available pto hp at 1700 rpm. I never take mine out of E pto except when driving down the road when I need more speed.

And that's what you have to remember about E pto is that it limits the engine rpm to 1700 regardless of whether you have actually engaged the pto or not.

So if you are heading down the road and you are wondering why you aren't getting more speed out of her, it's because you have to shift out of E pto, in order for the engine to rev above 1700 rpm.

/ Economy PTO Question #5  
Search for:
effective PTO HP 4520 E-PTO
and you'll see what Deere said to me regarding the E-PTO. Some of this might apply to your situation.

Pete

/ Economy PTO Question #6  
I believe you still have about 45-50 available pto hp at 1700 rpm. I never take mine out of E pto except when driving down the road when I need more speed.

May I ask why you operate your tractor with e-pto engaged all the time? Unless your tasks are all light duty, I suspect you may be lugging your diesel when it is not necessary. If you don't need higher engine speeds just set your throttle to 1700-1800 rpm. My brother had a motor on a pivot several years ago that he ran at a reduced idle because he didn't want to change the well gear head when he replaced the old motor with a new engine. In 2-3 years the motor went bad. He was told by the manufacture and dealer, the prolonged running at reduced speed resulted in greater wear than running it at recommended speed. The new engine had a lot more hp and higher operating rpm than the old. We thought a lower speed would prolong its life and keep fuel costs lower-wrong.

E-pto has its place, but constantly active is probably not recommended.

/ Economy PTO Question #7  
I guess all of my tasks are light duty since I'm using the same implements I used previously with a 42 hp IH 454. I went bigger for the increased stability handling large round bales; stacking and placing them in horse paddocks that are on fairly hilly ground. Running the few PTO-driven implements I have with the 5425 is analogous to Jeremy Clarkson's Corvette-engined blender on "Top Gear"!

If I'm not in E-pto mode and I simply set my throttle for 1700 rpm, I don't have 540 pto rpm. Also, running the engine at 2400 rpm is a lot noisier in the cab than 1700 rpm, and most certainly wastes fuel. And the 5425 is definitely thirstier than the IH 454, but then it is almost double the horsepower.

/ Economy PTO Question
Thank you guys very much. Eepete: that info from deere is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.