Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not

/ Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not #1  

TCR78

Bronze Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 210K
Let my apologize in advance because I'm new here and almost sure my questions are answered somewhere on here. I did a search for bias vs radial and there were 0 matches. That being said this site sometimes has me finding more questions than answers. We recently ordered a JD 5083E w/563nsl 85"hd bucket, our first brand new tractor, and before it's too late I wanted to make sure we configured it correctly for our needs. We will be using it on 50+ acres that includes roads that are paved and some that are not (grass & gravel), grooming 1/4mi of beach, some mowing, and loader work. We ordered it with bias R4's but my father in law's brother told me radials are better (owns excavation business) and I don't know the difference. So now I'm worried we should have gotten radials. We were also going to have the rears loaded with beet juice. Should the fronts be loaded as well? and is that even the best way to go? TIA and sorry if this is a repetitive topic. :confused3:

/ Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not #2  
Yes, you will need to load the rears and add wheel weights or you will be picking up the backend of the tractor everytime you use the front end loader (FEL). You will not need to load the front tires unless you plan to use a heavy 3pt inplement. The JD website will have a manual for the FEL. In that document you will find balast recommendations for your unit.

Radial tires are better, but at a cost. They tend to compact the ground less and I expect they would be better in sand, but I do not know that for sure. The radials are also more bruise resistant and will wear longer. I prefer R1's to R4's, but that is my opinion.

/ Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not
Thank you very much for your input Burn, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
   / Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not #4  
Radials will out perform bias tires pretty much in every catagory except initial price.
They offer a much larger footprint over bias tires, whick puts more bars on the ground at any given time and therefore give better traction and lower compaction.
They are more durable than bias and will resist punctures better.

R1s are considered a standard AG tread design and tread depth. R4 is industrial/backhoe tread design. Michelin makes very good R4 backhoe tires with a very flat footprint, deep tread, and two layers of steel belts under the tread for flat protection and for increase load capacity. They are what I have on my tractor and I love them.

Hope that helps

/ Bias vs Radial / Loaded vs Not #5  
I prefer Bias tires on loader equipped tractors. The radials are great for general use but the softer sidewalls on the radials don't really work well with heavy loads in the loader and turning. They are more prone to excessive wear during heavy loader use as well as a higher chance of rolling off the rim.

In my own situation I would go with Radials in a heartbeat on a tractor designed to use 3pt equipment or mid mount equipment but with a loader I would stay with the Bias.