Loose wheel bolts

/ Loose wheel bolts #1  

Scott_in_WVA

Gold Member
Wheel bolts come loose on my JD 4400,I just torqued them 10 hours ago......so I put lock tite on them and torqued them again.I hope this helps.
Glad I was not on the side of a hill when this happened.I have been around tractors all my life and never seen this happen until I got my JD 4400,anyone else ever had this happen to them?

/ Loose wheel bolts #2  
Scott,
Do a search and you'll find all sorts of threads about the wheel bolt problem. Don't know why some tractors are different than others. I've now got about 120 hours on my 4400 and have never had one of mine move. I painted a thin black stripe on each bolt head and onto the rim. Now I can tell if they move just by looking at them.

Hoss

/ Loose wheel bolts #3  
Thanks guys. This was a good reminder to check my bolts on the JD 4300. They are still tight, and it has been worked hard this summer, mostly with a tiller and the FEL. Very puzzling that some have a problem and others don't.

/ Loose wheel bolts
Hoss/Beenthere
Do you guys have the R-1 tires or the R-4 tires and wheels?

/ Loose wheel bolts #5  
I just received my 4310 two days ago, but had the manual for about a week. The manual said to retorque the bolts after one hour, then every four hours until the don't come loose again. I mentioned this to the guy who delivered the tractor. He told me I shouldn't have to worry about it, because "I put them on with an impact wrench as tight as I could get them!" /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif.

/ Loose wheel bolts #6  
thanks for the reminder to check mine! i have about 22 hours on my 4110 and my wheels are still as tight as the day i got it. Have read many posts here though about others problems with their wheels coming loose.

derek

/ Loose wheel bolts #7  
I have the R-4's.

/ Loose wheel bolts
I thought maybe it was an R-1 thing,because I use to have the R-4 tires and never had a problem until I went to the R-1 tires........go figure.

/ Loose wheel bolts #10  
It's R-4 as well. I know better and hadn't checked my bolts for awhile and nearly lost the wheel on my 4600 as well. It's really any tractor tire on the left side. Because the torque on the wheel against the bolts it causes bolts on all tractors to have a tendency to come off on the left side no matter the type or size.