Mowing Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #1  

tjse9006

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044M, 825I
First I would like to thank you guys for all the help you've given me over the last year or so since I last posted. Been clearing property and building a house(finished, Thank God!) I started looking at grey tractors then wen't used and after advice from you guys and low financing rates I got a new 2520. I am on here every day getting questions answered. I even called my dealer the other day after buying a rear balde and was told to put all my pins inside the frame of the attachment to avoid the lift arms rubbing the r4's. When I called the dealer to complain that the lift arms wouldn't go over the pin when mounted inside, he told me to bring the tractor back in he would replace the arms for free. Enough catching up. My question is I found a used Land Pride finsish mowe for $550, it's in decent shape. Do you guys think the 2520 can handle it. Most of my property is flat but I do have a stretch with a pretty good slope I will have to mow going across the slope. Thanks

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #2  
it will as long as u dont let the grass go for more than a week if its any thing like mine . i had the same set up except i have a bushhog brand rfm . and on those slopes if u go across them any at all you have to be careful as the wait of the rfm can make the tractor slide side ways if u dont have any weight on the tires .

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #3  
No problem. Engine power plenty for this choice. These are not heavy machines so adequate ballasting is important if you are mowing hills. In reality, these RFMs do not generally weigh any more than a standard box blade and we rarely think about that.

John

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #4  
Close call, if the grass is not to high and it is not the Wind Tunnel design.
Is it side discharge or rear discharge?

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #5  
I run a Frontier (I think GM1072E??), no problem. My lawn is flat, but I do have a small bank that runs along the road, drainage ditch, and it does fine through all of that too. The mower has never bogged the engine down at all. It does weigh about what a box blade does but it hangs much further back and out to the sides, so you feel it more. That said, when you're actually mowing, all of the mower's weight is on its wheels. I also leave my loader mounted, just drop my bucket for mowing.

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #6  
A 72" MMM is an option for the 2520...so it it have no trouble at all with a 72" RFM

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #7  
I run a Frontier GM1072R on mine and it has plenty of power for it. This is a heavy mower (675 lbs) and, as mentioned earlier, will tend to drag the rear of the tractor sideways on 20 degree slopes (even with 360 lbs of wheel weights). My property is quite hilly and I need to be in 4WD all the time to use this mower without spinning the tires.

I would have no reservations at all about using it on property that was mostly flat as you describe.

Attachments

• 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 553
   / Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower
Gizmo, its a side discharge. I found a 5ft new Caroni for 885 new. It's a last year hold over and is a rear discharge. Would that be a better choice.

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #9  
I pull a King Kutter 6 foot RFM behind my 2520. I mow around 5 acres with some serious side slopes. I had the rear tires filled with beet juice and that helped a bunch. A 6 foot RFM is a perfect match for the 2520 in my opinion. According to the manufacturer's web site, my mower weighs just over 700 pounds, so I too leave the bucket on for counter weight.

/ Will 2520 handle a 6ft finish mower #10  
Gizmo, its a side discharge. I found a 5ft new Caroni for 885 new. It's a last year hold over and is a rear discharge. Would that be a better choice.
I had a 5ft Land Pride Wind Tunnel rear mount side discharge and I want to tell you the high lift blades on the Wind Tunnel design sure sucked up the HP. Worked well in low grass but to mow a pasture after a couple weeks of growth was a real chore. I liked the side discharge better because if I needed to remove a large amount of clippings I would redo the pasture and blow it all in the middle or make windrows. If your plan is to mow lawn like every week then I would think the type would be up to you although I cannot see how the suction on a rear discharge could be all that good. I was always told 3HP minimum per foot of implement and IMO opinion it should be at least 4HP per foot of implement. (PTO HP!!!)

One more thing, with a rear mounted mower you are driving over the grass not once but twice before you cut it so you will need suction or high lift.

Last edited: