john deere won't start

/ john deere won't start #1  

jwheelerb

I have a John Deere 112l mower. I will try to start it and the engine will start to crank and then quit. After I do that one time and turn the key again, I just here one clicking noise and the engine doesn't even try to turn. I thought it was the battery so I got me a new one and it didn't help. I can jump the mower with my truck and then the mower works until I shut it off. Then it does the exact same thing. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
thanks

/ john deere won't start #2  
Where are you connecting the jumper cables? Assuming that the new battery is good, you must have a dirty battery terminal, a loose connection or a bad battery cable.

/ john deere won't start
I put the jumper cable on the battery and it will start fine. I just checked all the the connections and they were all clean and tight. I just took a volt meter and found that when I turn the key to start, it says I only have 1 DC the whole time the key is in the start position. Does that help you think of any other solutions? I checked the voltage at my battery, so I don't think it would be the battery cables. I could be wrong though.
thanks

/ john deere won't start
Also, when I turn the PTO to engage the battery does not drop below 11. When I shut the PTO off the battery drops down to 1.

/ john deere won't start
I ohmed out and found out that my ignition switch with no wires on it has ohms between two contacts. I traced where the wires go from the ignition switch and one is my common and one goes to the red wire to the solenoid. Could this mean I have a short in my ignition switch and could possible drop my battery from 12 volts to 1 volt when I try to start it?

/ john deere won't start #6  
sounds like you may have a bad starter or solenoid, when jump starting with the truck you have more available amperage for the solenoid or starter work. Can you safely supply 12 volts to solenoid to by pass the ignition system.