2320 questions before purchasing

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #31  
I've owned a number of Deere's and I have liked them all. However I LOVE my 2320. I have never experienced it's inability to handle any reasonable task with power, manuverability and safely. I've use it to mow 5+ acres of lawn with a 62" MMM, cut down 7+ acres of CRP with a 5' rear cutter, groom about a mile of trail through the woods, move snow off of a 500' drive, use a 5' box blade, pull a 5' disk etc., etc., etc.
I've never found the pumps to slow or sluggish. The R-4's have never torn up the lawn. It has pushed through some drifts highe than the rear tires without chains. Just pit it in FWD and go. If you use your head, take your time and play it safe I don't believe anyone can go wrong.
I test drove and used a 2520. It was too big to revel through the woods and I felt it would be overkill for my purposes. My 2320 has proved me right.

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #32  
I agree. When I speak of the pump and its effect on loader speed, I compare it to the other larger machines I have owned. There is certainly a difference. That said, the 2320 is plenty efficient in loader work for my needs. The other things I have found is that the 2320 really does ground engagement tasks well. It pulls my Box Blade without difficulty and is a strong little machine. I stand by my opinion that the R4 tires are not good in snow. Those I know that use them in snow and like them either are not moving much, are moving dry powdery snow or are operating on terrain that is not challenging. I have slid my 2320 down my drive more than once running unchained R4's. Of course, I did the same with my 4520 and that was more scary. The reason I mention to our OP to get chains if he intends any snow removal is that JD chains for the 2320 are a unique size and hard to find unless ordered through JD or bought aftermarket and modified, which is no fun. They are quite pricey from JD, so he might get a deal getting them with his machine which he may not get later. They make a decent snow removal piece into a real plowing machine and enhance safety a lot. Otherwise the 2320 is an excellent machine. I prefer it to either the 2520 or the 2720 that are much more expensive and really will do no more work--unless loader work is going to be one's primary task where the shortened cycle times add up. Unless one is a professional equipment operator I doubt he/she could be efficient enough to fully appreciate that.

John M

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #33  
I've owned a number of Deere's and I have liked them all. However I LOVE my 2320. I have never experienced it's inability to handle any reasonable task with power, manuverability and safely. I've use it to mow 5+ acres of lawn with a 62" MMM, cut down 7+ acres of CRP with a 5' rear cutter, groom about a mile of trail through the woods, move snow off of a 500' drive, use a 5' box blade, pull a 5' disk etc., etc., etc.
I've never found the pumps to slow or sluggish. The R-4's have never torn up the lawn. It has pushed through some drifts highe than the rear tires without chains. Just pit it in FWD and go. If you use your head, take your time and play it safe I don't believe anyone can go wrong.
I test drove and used a 2520. It was too big to revel through the woods and I felt it would be overkill for my purposes. My 2320 has proved me right.

I agree. When I speak of the pump and its effect on loader speed, I compare it to the other larger machines I have owned. There is certainly a difference. That said, the 2320 is plenty efficient in loader work for my needs. The other things I have found is that the 2320 really does ground engagement tasks well. It pulls my Box Blade without difficulty and is a strong little machine. I stand by my opinion that the R4 tires are not good in snow. Those I know that use them in snow and like them either are not moving much, are moving dry powdery snow or are operating on terrain that is not challenging. I have slid my 2320 down my drive more than once running unchained R4's. Of course, I did the same with my 4520 and that was more scary. The reason I mention to our OP to get chains if he intends any snow removal is that JD chains for the 2320 are a unique size and hard to find unless ordered through JD or bought aftermarket and modified, which is no fun. They are quite pricey from JD, so he might get a deal getting them with his machine which he may not get later. They make a decent snow removal piece into a real plowing machine and enhance safety a lot. Otherwise the 2320 is an excellent machine. I prefer it to either the 2520 or the 2720 that are much more expensive and really will do no more work--unless loader work is going to be one's primary task where the shortened cycle times add up. Unless one is a professional equipment operator I doubt he/she could be efficient enough to fully appreciate that.

John M
After reading these two post... I have absolutely nothing to add.

/ 2320 questions before purchasing
Once again, astonished by the quality of replies.....thank you all!

I'm off to the new dealer tomorrow for a test drive.

I can assure all the great folks who've actually replied to my original query that I'll have many more???'s very soon.

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #35  
jcmseven- thanks for the clarification- I never have been sure of Deere model # system and equivalents.... sounds like it might be similar to the MF 1500 series; same 3-cyl. 23HP engine as mine, but a bit larger chassis.

PhilD- the 2310 is listed @ 2600 lbs. I'm sure it's considerably less than that when mowing, as I remove both the BH and FEL. Looks like it might be around 1700 lbs with just the MMM on. No problems with "dents" in the turf.

You'll quickly become addicted to a daily fix of TBN-- some really good folks here, tons of great knowledge. What the internet was designed to be.:thumbsup:

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #36  
Sorry to jump in on this post with more 2320 questions but I see many good 2320 owners have been giving advice here.

I've been considering a 2320 but really want a 72" RFM (probably the Landpride FDR1672 which weighs about 100lbs less than the Frontier
GM1072R) and 3 pt Frontier CA1048 core aerator and am doubting the 2320's ability to handle both. I have slight inclines over my 3 acres. Core aerators pull very hard even up slight inclines in heavy clay soil--My current JD LT190 really struggles up slight grades with my JD 40" pull behind aerator that doesn't have very many or very deep tines. Also, the JD website doesn't even suggest the 2320 for aerators. Wondering if a 2520 or even 2720 would be better--especially for the aerator, but hate to spend the extra $$? Also, for a tiller it would have to be wider than 52" to cover the tracks of the 2320 and again wonder on PTO hp in the clay soil.

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #37  
Another question-sorry-for the group (as TBow mentioned..) is there another hydraulic lift feature for the mmm that will allow a more precise height for the mower other than the independent lift? Thanks again.

The standard lift uses the height control knob on the floor in front of the seat. It offers very good adjustment of the mower deck, the only thing is the 3pt hitch moves with it but you only need to move the position control very little to drop the deck hence the 3pt does not move very far. You can also lock the deck up when usiing the standard lift control so that the deck stays put when using the 3pt hitch. The only thing with this lift is some tractors come from the factory with the upstop incorrectly adjusted so the deck dosen't lock full up like it should and it only takes a few minutes to adjust it. We mow abt 5 acres with ours and the 62d as well as cultivate and spray abt 10 acres. I have abt 1000ft of driveway to clear and a 200x400 garden. This machine has proven to do everything we have ever asked and more. BGW We have tubes and the tires loaded with Calcium as they have never heard of rimguard around here.

/ 2320 questions before purchasing #38  
Hello JeffinNE,

I know we spoke once before about the JD2320 and the CA1048 core aerator. My lawn is relatively flat with a few slight grades and I do not have any problems pulling the aerator with 420 pounds of extra weight added. With that being said though, I do try to aerate when the lawn is damp and yes on those slight slopes I do put it in 4X4. This is really just to prevent the unloaded turf tires from spinning. In the attached pictures you will see the JD2320 with the CA1048. These pictures are not of me using the aerator but just moving it. When I am using it I have the loader on as a counterweight and the suitcase weights are used to weigh down the aerator.

Attachments

• Summer 2008 107.jpg
    Summer 2008 107.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 548
  • Summer 2008 108.jpg
    Summer 2008 108.jpg
    915.3 KB · Views: 366
   / 2320 questions before purchasing #39  
My 4010 (18.5 hp older version of what's now the 2320) was awesome in the snow with turfs, 53" FEL and Fontier back blade.

I've about 1/2 acre of lawn. I just use a couple self propelled walk behinds. Usually do about a 1/3 of it at a time and rotate around. More fun walking naked behind a walk behind than sitting on the tractor.

Ralph