John Deere 3320

/ John Deere 3320 #1  

Tritonman

Gold Member
I came across a good deal on a 3320 with cab, etc and am just curious if there is a easy way to boost the HP on this tractor-by turning up the fuel pump/chip etc. I probably won't need to, just curious if it is possible or not. I think this is a little bit different motor than the other tractors in this series.

/ John Deere 3320 #2  
Anything is possible... :D

/ John Deere 3320 #3  
Many have asked and I have not seen any conclusive answer other than buy the HP you need to start with. Sorry...... I am open to correction........

/ John Deere 3320 #4  
You can do anything... if you throw enough money at it!! :) From my hotrod days - once you modify one component - you place added stress on another component of the machine. Drivetrain, elevated exhaust temps, transmission, pistons, etc.

Like dominos.. and you start "chasing" 'em before they fall! :D 'Course you're runnin' with your checkbook!

Unless it's a passion and something that you're enjoying the challange of -- buy up front..

AKfish

/ John Deere 3320 #5  
You can do anything... if you throw enough money at it!! :) From my hotrod days - once you modify one component - you place added stress on another component of the machine. Drivetrain, elevated exhaust temps, transmission, pistons, etc.

Like dominos.. and you start "chasing" 'em before they fall! :D 'Course you're runnin' with your checkbook!

Unless it's a passion and something that you're enjoying the challange of -- buy up front..

AKfish

I agree with the "buy right" the first time reccomendation, if you want the HP of a 3520, its way cheaper & easier to just buy the 3520 right off the bat. BUT, Because the 3320 is the identical twin (minus HP) to the 35/3720, you could safely go up to 3720-ish specs with no drivetrain problems.
The only way I'd "mod up" a 3320 is if I got it free from a family member and it had sentimental value or you already own it and just want a little more oomph......
Do your homework...see if the engine in the 3320 has a variation with more horse...then its real easy to get HP...Theres nothing I know in the Deere line with that engine in the higher HP...but check other Yanmar equipment...

But like AKFish said...by the time your done tinkering, etc... you'll have 2k into your project and that 2k would have gotten you into a 3520...

/ John Deere 3320
Does anyone know for sure? On some tractors its just a issue of turning up the fuel pump. On alot of farm tractors and some in our family we have just put a chip in them to boost the power, just like in the ford diesels, we have. The price is right on the tractor and I am buying it anyway. I will use it for a couple of years. It is a stop gap tractor on my way to a 4720. I have slowly traded up on tractors over the last 10 years starting with a 425 with a loader, traded to a 855, then to a 4400, and now to this 3320.

/ John Deere 3320 #7  
The first thing I noticed when checking the specs on the 3320 vs the 3520 was that the 3520 has turbo. I went for the 3520. That may explain the increased HP.

/ John Deere 3320
I see that Gehl uses that same motor in a skid steer rated at 36.5 hp and the yanmar website lists it also.

/ John Deere 3320 #9  
I see that Gehl uses that same motor in a skid steer rated at 36.5 hp and the yanmar website lists it also.

I've known a few farmer's who've tweaked the injection pump on their tractor's and it certainly increased the power output!! (This was WAY before computer controls!!)

Then they could pull that same disc harrow in a higher gear... or they could pull another bottom on the plow from the bigger tractor in the yard.

I also remember how that worked out for 'em over time...

Check the specs on the Gehl SS engine. Same compression, same injector pump, is it turboed, etc.? Same size valves, heavier duty rods?

Certainly, there are engines that nothing is different besides the pump flow.

Lengthy discussion on the 4000 series Deere machines here on TBN. With some added research - it is apparent that Deere has done more to the 4024T engine than simply changing the computer chip. Different injector pumps and different models of turbo's as well.

AKfish

/ John Deere 3320 #10  
Well, the motors in our tractors arent computer controlled so we got that going for us.... "Turning The Screw" as its put will boost HP, but its not perfect HP if that makes any sense... Alot more to the pump then just fuel delivery...

What I would do is take the pump off, bring it to a pump shop and tell them to use the Gehl/Yanmar 37 horse pump specs.... But like AKFish said, make sure that all the components inside the engine are the same...if I were a bettin man, I'd say they were... This way you're not overdoing it and you know where you stand.

But once again, by the time your done doing it "right", you coulda just bought the correctly sized machine...resale on your "Super 3320" would be the same as a normal 3320 because how can you proove you got 37hp?