4400HST Front axle seal leaking

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking #1  

Mike_S

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4400HST
The front right axle seal is leaking fluid down the wheel and is getting worse -- since it is a problem getting the tractor to the repair shop, is this something that can be repaired by a DIY'er with reasonable mechanical skills?

Thanks

Mike_S

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking #2  
The front right axle seal is leaking fluid down the wheel and is getting worse -- since it is a problem getting the tractor to the repair shop, is this something that can be repaired by a DIY'er with reasonable mechanical skills?

Thanks

Mike_S

Have you checked your bolts to see if they may be loose. It would be good to post a few pics for good advice. Do you have a parts manual for this tractor? Do you have a repair manual? Is your tractor a L4400HST?

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking
Have you checked your bolts to see if they may be loose. It would be good to post a few pics for good advice. Do you have a parts manual for this tractor? Do you have a repair manual? Is your tractor a L4400HST?

no "L" just 4400HST from 8 years ago -- will do as you suggested and see if any of the bolts are loose (this is 4WD as were all 4400HST's)

thanks,

Mike

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking #4  
My 4300 was doing the same thing. When I took it for its 1000 (end of warranttee check) I showed the dealer where it leaked. I had a few other items on the list so the first thing he did was power wash everything. When I picked up the tractor he explained that it wasn't leaking anymore so they didn't tear things apart. Turns out it only leaks when its parked in 4wd with tension on the drive train, or when its operated on an angle, or when the axle is topped up (to the full mark). That was 3000hrs ago. I just add gear oil twice a year.
I'm told that the seal is pricey ($60) and the whole front "king-pin" assembly has to come apart.....which means that you will also need other new seals.

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking #5  
I'm told that the seal is pricey ($60) and the whole front "king-pin" assembly has to come apart.....which means that you will also need other new seals.

There are two seals, which are about $30 each. The hub seal is not hard
to do, but the kingpin seal is tough, requiring a special tool, and very
good snap ring pliers. See my 4300 rebuild thread for the how-to, starting
about post #120. There are several different axles out there.

On some tractors, if you keep weight on the front axle while parked, the
kingpin seal does not leak, but if you park it with little or no weight on the
axle, it leaks. I found that out on a JD and a Kubota.

/ 4400HST Front axle seal leaking #6  
I replaced a front axle swivel seal on a customer's 4610 at his horse farm using tools i carry on the service truck every day. I looked at the online parts breakdown and ordered the seal, wear ring, and soft plug that fits into the bottom of the swivel housing. A decent pair of snapring pliers is required, but I have them. It was a straight forward repair, and would have been a little easier if I had the proper spanner wrench to loosen the swivel bearing retainer nut, but I improvised.