adjusting 3pt to lift higher

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher
thanks Roy, i don't mind supporting the local dealer, but i also like finding bargains!

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #32  
IMO, buying the tech manual isn't supporting the local dealer. Buying parts, tractors, filters, attachments, etc, thats supporting the dealer. The tech manual is a means to figure out which things need to be bought in order to support the dealer.

I bet if you offer this guy $10 or $15 for it he'll bite too:
One CD

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #33  
thanks Roy, i don't mind supporting the local dealer, but i also like finding bargains!

I think you should go for the best deal you can find!!!
My only recommendation is to stick with a factory manual and not one of the aftermarket manuals.
When I bought mine in 2001, there wasn't many choices where to get one.

i didn't know that there were factory/aftermarket versions. and i suppose that they all use the TM1677 part # designation?

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #35  
They're all the same. I don't know if Roy is opposed to the "pirated" version, that would be a personal decision, but the eBay versions are the same as the JDParts ones.

I'm personally very much against pirating software. I have no pirated software anywhere in my use. But that is because people make a living off selling the software. JD does not make a living selling tech manuals. They make the manuals for their own dealers to turn around and make money off the consumer. I find it obnoxious of manufacturers not to offer the tech manual with the equipment at the price of printing it. And in the case of the $60 CD, not offering it for FREE.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #36  
For the greatest height when lifted put top link in top hole on your tractor.
DevilDog

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #37  
For the greatest height when lifted put top link in top hole on your tractor.
DevilDog

And here I thought it would be in the bottom holes. :confused:

Shortening that top arm would raise the attachment higher too. Looks like it is not a factory supplied top arm and may not adjust shorter.

i have the top link in the middle hole based on the manual's load rating (medium duty, middle hole). it is not a factory link, it will go shorter, but then it messes up the angle of the blade.

i still have to check the specs provided to me earlier in the thread, and this isn't a huge issue, was just curious if there was anything you could adjust on, and apparently there are a couple of things.

thanks for all the replies on this topic.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #39  
They're all the same. I don't know if Roy is opposed to the "pirated" version, that would be a personal decision, but the eBay versions are the same as the JDParts ones.

No, I wasn't thinking of "pirated" manuals. There are other non-factory manuals available...Tractor Supply sells 'em (or used to). These would be similar to a Chilton manual, but not near as comprehensive. The name ITC seems to ring a bell (as a publisher).
I'm just suggesting that you stick with the factory authorized manuals.

Even the factory manual presupposes the user has a degree of mechanical apptitude. They'll help you with specs and tests and such, but they won't make a mechanic of a person with no experience. In other words, if you don't know how to install rings (on a piston) or use a torque wrench, the manual isn't going to help.

i'm not as good of a mechanic as i should be. i've rebuilt several engines to varying degrees...from simple re-ring/valve job, to complete rebuild/oversize bore (i didn't do the boring tho). but i forget alot because i don't do it that often. my dad used to do engine stuff for a living, then machining, so he's there to help me out.

just today, i was trying to remove a drain plug and the allen head was stripped. wasn't enough sticking out to grip it w/ anything, so i tried a chisel to get it turning. was just peeling it away. i had to drill it and use an easy out. nothing is ever easy...luckily i have just enough mechanical ability to be dangerous.