adjusting 3pt to lift higher

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #1  

defed

Gold Member
(2001) 4300, when i put 3pt to lowest position, the arms are only a cpl inches off the ground. when raised to the max w/ a box blade, it's only about 18" off the ground. i don't need the arms to go that low, and i'd like a little more height in max position.

looking at the parts diagram for the 3pt, the upper lift arms are splined. can the upper arms be removed and rotated on the shaft to make a higher max/min?

i haven't gotten out to actually study the tractor to see if the splines are all the same (allowing continued rotation) or if anything will bind due to an increased raise height.

got out and moved a bunch of dirt and did some grading. so far so good on the new (used) tractor.

thanks!
Dave

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #2  
Not sure if your tractor has different attachment point for the top link but mine has three different holes you can put the tractor side of the top link through. this changes the geometry of the three point as well as range of motion and lifting capacity. Not exactly sure what hole does what as I usually keep it in the middle but if you have these choices, it's a simple matter to play around with each hole and see what the different is.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #3  
A picture would help. On most all the tractors ive used they have either 2 or 3 different hole settings. It isnt very hard to move your links to the upper hole. Sadly when i got my yanmar though, the bolts were on so tight it took me an hour to move it up. Oh, and some WD40.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #4  
The links going from the rock shaft to the 2 lower 3pt arms should be threaded like a bolt, and usually the right one(standing at the back of the tractor looking forward) has an adjustment on it(either by a handle or a turnbuckle type set up). You can adjust both sides, but on the left side you will have to un-pin the link and screw it in and reconnect it. I can't remember on the 4300, but some tractors have several different pin settings with diffrent holes at the bottom of the links that connect the rockshaft to the lower 3pt arms. Either way, it is adjustable. Like said above, post a pic of your 3pt and we'll tell you how to adjust it.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #5  
i think i'd just live with it the way it is, you start messing with the splines and you may really screw something up. get a hydraulic toplink, that would raise the impliment up a few inches.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher
i shortened both lift links to the shortest possible. there is a slotted hole where the link attaches to the lower arm, which would give a little more height (currently at the bottom of the slot), but not sure if the 'stop' is reversible.

i'll get pics today or tomorrow.

i do have the 'drop and recover' issue too, where the 3pt will drop and lift a small amount every 30 seconds or so. seems to have been a common problem. i left it up over night, we'll see if it dropped to the ground when i get out there.

/ adjusting 3pt to lift higher #7  
Not sure if your tractor has different attachment point for the top link but mine has three different holes you can put the tractor side of the top link through. this changes the geometry of the three point as well as range of motion and lifting capacity. Not exactly sure what hole does what as I usually keep it in the middle but if you have these choices, it's a simple matter to play around with each hole and see what the different is.

From 4300 manual regarding mounting holes for top link:

キ For light and medium draft loads: Install center link (A) in lower hole (B) of mounting bracket.
キ For medium and heavy draft loads: Install center link in middle hole (C) of mounting bracket.
キ For very heavy draft loads: Install center link in upper hole (D) of mounting bracket.

Attachments

• LVU11736_LO142.jpg
    LVU11736_LO142.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 480
here is a picture of the locking tabs that connect the lift link to the lower arm. there is alot of space above, so not sure if this is reversible so that the lower arms sit 1" higher.

i have the top link in the center postion.

looking at the tractor from a distance, it doesn't look too bad height wise, but it's only 16" off the ground.

Attachments

• DSCN0154.JPG
    DSCN0154.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN0157.JPG
    DSCN0157.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCN0159.JPG
    DSCN0159.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 370
here is the upper arm/rockshaft, with a picture from the parts page. the upper arm is bolted on, and is splined to engage a splined shaft. if all of the splines are equal (not indexed somehow w/ a larger tooth), one could probably slide the upper arm off, rotate a given number of teeth, and change the max/min height. not sure about the geometry of the stabilizer links if max height was changed.

i'll probably just leave it alone for now.

Attachments

• DSCN0156.JPG
    DSCN0156.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 387
  • 3ptarms.gif
    3ptarms.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 769
   / adjusting 3pt to lift higher #10  
Just checking if you are aware that slot and tab is for changing between floating and non-floating links.