Oil & Fuel Hydraulic Filter Question

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #1  

bobsphotos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320 Ford 641 Ford 861 Kubota L3400
The parts manual for my 3320 lists 2 hydraulic filters. One is an inline filter, part #LVA14167, and my question is about this filter. Do folks normally change this filter when doing a hydraulic oil change? Is it just associated with the power sterring? My local Deere parts counter said they had only sold one of these filters, compared to 15 of the large canister hydro filter.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #2  
The parts manual for my 3320 lists 2 hydraulic filters. One is an inline filter, part #LVA14167, and my question is about this filter. Do folks normally change this filter when doing a hydraulic oil change? Is it just associated with the power sterring? My local Deere parts counter said they had only sold one of these filters, compared to 15 of the large canister hydro filter.

I change only the canister filter in my 3720. The inline filter is removed, cleaned and put back in place. I bought the inline filter for the first change but did not use it since it looked as good as the new one after a good cleaning. The inline filter should be replaced if damaged.
I believe this is in accordance with the service instructions.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #3  
Both my 4300 and the current 4520 have the high pressure filter. According to the 4520 manual: "The inline hydraulic filter should be cleaned at the same time the transmission oil is changed, but not every time. See SERVICE INTERVALS" The interval is every 1200 hours. Since the regular interval is 400 hours, it would be every 3 canister changes

Remember to clean the suction side screen when you do the canister filter.

TEW

/ Hydraulic Filter Question
That all works for me. Thanks guys for the feedback.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question
Both my 4300 and the current 4520 have the high pressure filter. According to the 4520 manual: "The inline hydraulic filter should be cleaned at the same time the transmission oil is changed, but not every time. See SERVICE INTERVALS" The interval is every 1200 hours. Since the regular interval is 400 hours, it would be every 3 canister changes

Remember to clean the suction side screen when you do the canister filter.

TEW

Cidertom,
I assume that the "suction side screen" is the screen that surrounds the canister?

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #6  
I don't know about your particular tractor but, the typical tractor has a screen sump filter that is inside the transmission. The screen is behind the elbow that connects the large diameter rubber hose to the sump.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #7  
I change only the canister filter in my 3720. The inline filter is removed, cleaned and put back in place. I bought the inline filter for the first change but did not use it since it looked as good as the new one after a good cleaning. The inline filter should be replaced if damaged.
I believe this is in accordance with the service instructions.

How is the filter removed from the line? Is the dark nut to the right of G supposed to be loosened? Also, once the filter is apart, do you replace the o-rings or just reuse them for assembly?

I"m a newbie when it comes to tractor maintenance, and will be doing my first 50 hour service on it.

According to the manual the way to clean or replace this filter is:

a. Position drain pan under (G)
b. Remove filter from lines
c. Remove nut (H) with internal element from case.
d. Clean case and internal element with a mild solvent
Allow to dry
e. Assemble and install hydraulic filter assembly

inline_filter.jpg

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #8  
I just changed the Hydo/Trans fluid and suction filter (housed in a canister) in my 3720 and it leaked from the canister lid. Look on JD Parts drawing and saw there are two O-rings (one at the lid and one on the other end of the filter) that I did not see coming out? Purchased both to re-do. In doing so, decided to only use one O-ring at the canister lid because the filter was so much smaller than the O-ring it seemed the O-ring would "float" in the canister. I guess is that they have changed the filter and did not rework the metal canister...All done...no leaks running great.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #9  
Forget about that filter. It should never get dirty unless the pump blows up. It is in there to protect the steering and hydro trans if the pump fails. Deere just likes to fill up space in the book sometimes I swear.

/ Hydraulic Filter Question #10  
Forget about that filter. It should never get dirty unless the pump blows up. It is in there to protect the steering and hydro trans if the pump fails. Deere just likes to fill up space in the book sometimes I swear.

It (high pressure filter) was added after a bunch of issues surrounding the 3pt. It fixed the drop-recover problem that surfaced first in the 42/43/4400 with a change in the rock shaft valve.