300cx FEL bucket level indicator

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #1  

Riderguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Hopefully I'm not showing my ignorance. I have a JD 3720 with a 300CX FEL that I just got recently. Looking through the manual for the loader, it presents on page 35-4 a picture and discussion about the bucket level indicator. I don't have one of these on my FEL. Is this an option? If it is, is it worth buying or is it more of a gimick?

Thanks,
Scott

2009 JD 3720
300CX FEL
Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter
Frontier BB2060 Box Blade

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #2  
Hopefully I'm not showing my ignorance. I have a JD 3720 with a 300CX FEL that I just got recently. Looking through the manual for the loader, it presents on page 35-4 a picture and discussion about the bucket level indicator. I don't have one of these on my FEL. Is this an option? If it is, is it worth buying or is it more of a gimick?

Thanks,
Scott

2009 JD 3720
300CX FEL
Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter
Frontier BB2060 Box Blade

I thought they where standard-I know mine was. But anyway, I took mine off since I was always snagging the top rod on something...The top of the bucket is level with the cutting edge so it's easy for me to tell when the bucket is level.

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #3  
hi rider, it showed up on my invoice as about a $50 charge. sometimes it is included in the price of the loader and sometimes broken out with all the discount mumbo-jumbo. but it does really work good. curl the bucket till the bend in the indicator touches the support bracket and the bucket is flat on the ground. in my estimation a very functional accessory. this is the new improved model. works a lot better than the one on my previous 430 loader. hope this helps. cheers, bud

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #4  
Until I added forks to my FEL, I didn't find much use for the level indicator rod. But with forks, and now with the bucket, I use it often. I can quickly position the forks at level with the ground for picking up pallets.

I filed a ring (indent) around the rod and painted the indent white. Much easier to see than just a black marker or paint mark. And being it is indented, it doesn't wear off.

It was an option, that the dealer could order (or not) when ordering the FEL's.

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #5  
'course, you've gotta expect some guy to weigh in and say that a real man doesn't need no friggin' bucket level indicator....and I guess that'll be me, in the nicest way possible, of course. ;-)

Getting the bucket/forks level is for sure an issue. But it's worth noting that they don't actually get the bucket level, they just get the bottom of the bucket in the same plane as the wheels, which adopt all the imperfections of the ground they're sitting on. Depending on what you're trying to do, this may or may not be helpful.

For each of the machines I've ever used with a FEL, I've set aside some time to have a quasi-religious bonding moment with my machine, whereby I get the machine on level ground and lower the bucket until it's on flat ground (or in neutral cutting attitude) and then memorize exactly what the bucket looks like in that position from the driver's seat, including where the cylinders are in their respective strokes. On my 790, for example, the top of the bucket, which I can see, is basically parallel with the bottom....so there ya go. On my BH, I can tell simply from what the front linkages look like.

And, for excavating or plowing snow, you may or may want the bucket "level". A level indicator won't necessarily help you there, and is likely to be a distraction. Again, this situation arises primarily when your tractor is not on the same grade as your anticipated final grade. For me, it's all about feel---feeling how much the bucket is loading down or not, listening to what the scrape of the bucket sounds like, watching to see if the FEL is binding up, etc. Also, I'll watch immediately behind the bucket to see if I'm scooping up the desired amount of material and make immediate adjustments as required.

As far as the pallet forks go...same kinda issue. I suppose a level indicator would be nice if your pallets were always level where they're sitting....less so if they're not. I always ensure the top of a palleted load appears level, regardless of what the forks are doing.

So, you'll need to develop bucket handling and control skills that are far beyond what a level indicator will give you anyway, so I'd recommend forgoing the distraction of it and just practice. Plus, it'll save you the buyer's remorse when you rip it off or damage it, which you most assuredly will.

Good luck!

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator
I thought they where standard-I know mine was. But anyway, I took mine off since I was always snagging the top rod on something...The top of the bucket is level with the cutting edge so it's easy for me to tell when the bucket is level.

kennyd:

Great advice on the top of the bucket as a guide for the bottom. Thanks much.

Scott

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #7  
my 420 is missing the rod. it has the 'holder', just not the rod. when i first used the loader to try and move some dirt piles, i had a hard time telling if the bucket was level due to the shape of the rear of the bucket. when level, it looks like it is 3 inches off the ground due to the bevel in the back. have used several loaders, and never had a bucket shaped like that. i later realized that the top is parallel to the bottom, so that helps.

i am going to make a rod (deere wants $40 for one), just to see how it works. i think i will make several angle marks on the rod too, so i know when the bucket is tipped down at...say 20 degrees.

one question...does it work at any loader height? is the geometry such that when raised, the indicator always points to level? or does it only work when the tractor wheels and bucket are both sitting on the same plane?

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #8  
Hmmm, you all gave me an idea. i think I will color code a few notches on my unit's rod and set it up for 20 deg, 60 deg, 90 deg, and so on

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #9  
defed
No, it doesn't really show when the bucket is "level" but does show when the bottom of the bucket is parallel to the ground at the ground. While above the ground, the 420 FEL doesn't maintain "level".

Kinda what "barelysmokin" was sayin....but I do use the indicator as it is very quick and easy to set the bucket or forks well before lowering the FEL. Adjusting to a few degrees up or down seems easy to select as well. Hadn't thought of a need to add more marks. Will stay tuned to see how they work. :)

/ 300cx FEL bucket level indicator #10  
I find the indicator useful when working on a hard level surface, where a small change in angle makes a big difference for what you are doing. Especially when just starting into the load before sensing the feel of the bucket.

My old 70 loader came standard with just a label on the bucket indicating the top was level with the bottom. The optional indicator was different than current ones, with a rod emerging from an angled tube to show level. After setting up the tractor for level operation, I cut the rod even with the angled top of the tube and then painted the tip yellow.

Attachments

• JD level 1.jpg
    JD level 1.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 3,339
  • JD level 2.jpg
    JD level 2.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 1,065