Need input on brush hog

/ Need input on brush hog #1  

wagonguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Found a 48" woods brush hog with slip clutch. it does not have a stump jumper. Is that a "must have " option for a BH or based on use? I would use mainly for large weeds/grass-maybe some brush/saplings in the 1-2" size range mixed in. It is in good working cond and price seems good, just wondering if the lack of jumper is a potential pitfall. LMK what you think

/ Need input on brush hog #2  
If you hit something too big (stump larger then the cutter can handle), the slip clutch may do what it's designed to do (if it's set properly) or you may stall the tractor.
If you think the cutter is a good deal and it's a good fit for your tractor, I suggest you buy it.

I do suggest you adjust the slip clutch...don't depend on what the previous owner did (or didn't do).

/ Need input on brush hog #3  
It's not a "must have"... more like "nice to have", as in, I forgot about that rock or stump. If you have cut an area before and know what to watch out for, it's not as important. A slip clutch is very good to have, make sure it is set correctly.

/ Need input on brush hog #4  
Some posters recommend loosening the tension springs on a slip Clutch at the beginning of every season. Engaging the PTO quickly to SLIP the Clutch Disc , thus making sure the Slip Clutch will actually slip when needed.

Others have posted that their Slip clutch have been Rusted / Seized up from setting out in the weather, and it took a bit of work to them freed up to work properly.

/ Need input on brush hog
thanks for replies. hope to see this tomorrow. from what I have read on TBN , a 4 ft is right size for my 2305. price is +/-$300. that seemed pretty good for a Woods in decent working shape, no holes or busted parts.
most area I would use it on has been cut before by a gravely WB or a tractor w/brush hog. flat ground for most part.

/ Need input on brush hog #6  
Could you add a stump plate to this mower? It's not exactly a complicated object. Just a thought. I'm glad to have one on mine as I use it for some really tough terrain.

Here's some ugly guy using a 4ft mower on his 2305. :p

/ Need input on brush hog #7  
Here's some ugly guy using a 4ft mower on his 2305. :p

I had responded to your post (in another thread about cutters (which drifted into "where are Deere CUTs made...")). I wrote about how a small CUT can easily handle a 60" cutter.
Well, for the 2305, I retract that statement. Guess I didn't realize how small and light a 2305 was. More of a subCUT. Probably wouldn't hurt to extend your top link a few turns...
Interesting video, thanks for posting! Try cutting through brush as tall as your ROPS sometime.

/ Need input on brush hog #8  
what exactly is a slip clutch?

didn't need a stump jumper on my brush hog w/ my old ford 600. no live pto, so if i hit something, jump on the clutch and the blade would stop before i stalled. now that i have the new 4300....i'll have to adjust my technique. of course, w/ the 4300, i can go at a much more appropriate speed w/ the 3 range tranny...where the ford only had one range. so to keep the engine rpm up, i'd be going quite fast in reverse!

/ Need input on brush hog #9  
what exactly is a slip clutch?

The slip clutch prevents a sudden shock load from being transmitted to the driving (input) shaft by allowing the input to continue driving but with no output torque to the driven end (i.e. implement).

/ Need input on brush hog
Bought the brush hog for $275. blades swing free, spindle tight(no play), gearbox and shaft good. could use paint but thatll be later. So I guess I be a-hoggin this summer. HOOOWEEE!!:licking: