hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #1  

casareja

Need some help. just bought a 450 tiller for a 2305. could someone tell me how to properly hook it on? i attached the 3pt first and could not get the pto hooked on. do you hook the pto first?

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #2  
Welcome to the forum
I'd hook the lower arms on first, then raise them a bit with the top arm out of the way. Also, I'd remove the PTO guard from the tractor to expose the PTO stub (if that is possible). Be sure the splines are not filled with paint so there is good sliding on and off (maybe try that first with just the shaft, before moving the tiller into position).

It will get better with time and practice. :)

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

Why couldn't get the PTO connected? Was it to long? If so the shaft needs to be cut down properly or you will damage your tractor when you raise the tiller -the shaft will push the PTO stub shaft on the tractor in and break the tranny case...it's not a pretty sight!

If it just didn't seem to slide on, then there is either a collar that needs to be pulled back or a button to press to release the detent balls. Still follow advice above the first time you raise it-do it slowly.

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #4  
Good point kennyd
I was assuming the PTO shaft was already fitted to the right length during setup at the dealer, but that isn't always a real good assumption. :)

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305
yes, it is too long. cannot get the pto on the shaft

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #6  
Sometimes a little spray lube on the shaft can go a longs ways. Hooking them up always puts me in an awkward position with one hand holding the shaft and the other pulling back the collar or pushing the pin all while stradled over the 3 point arm while the top link hits me in the head. :p Another thing the helps is, WITH THE TRACTOR OFF, put the pto selector to mid only or N if you have one and turn the pto shaft just a tad by hand to help line up the splines.

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #7  
Deputy11 made a good point concerning the pto selector, except on the 2305, you have to put the selector completely forward to be able to disengage the rear pto, since there is no neutral and the mid engage both rear and front. I also operate a tiller on mine and Kenny is right, I had to shorten the shaft. Just remember about the pto selector, it makes it a lot easier to install. :thumbsup:

/ hooking a 450 tiller on a john deere 2305 #8  
yes, it is too long. cannot get the pto on the shaft

OK, that is what I was thinking your problem was. You will need to cut the two sections of the shaft equally so that when the tiller is raised they are fully engaged and when you lower the tiller you still have about 1/3 overlap. Then you cut the plastic guard the same way.

Do you have an iMatch QH (or plans to get one) or any other type quick hitch? They extend the 3PH connection by about 3" so you want to consider that.

Here are some links to look at:

Starting on page 7 of THIS manual describes the process very well also.
YouTube video from Everything Attachments on cutting a PTO shaft.