2305 battery

/ 2305 battery #1  

mred

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305, JD318
Is it common for these batteries to just die with no warning ? I was using my three year old 2305 for spring cleanup. This machine is garaged. It was starting and running fine all winter with no sign of any issues. I had filled the bucket with soil and I had turned off the machine to rake some more. I got back on and when I turned the switch to start it all I got was a wining / spinning noise nothing else. I checked all the controls and tried again same thing. Less noise but no engine turning noise. I noticed the fuel gauge rising slowly during this. After some looking around I decided to try jumping it and it started normally. Of course it was at 3:00 on Saturday before Easter so there was no time for battery shopping. I grabbed the correct size from NAPA installed it and no problems for the rest of the day. I tried to charge the old one for a couple of hours still dead. From fine to junk in a matter of minutes. Is it common for these batteries to die with no warning ?

/ 2305 battery #2  
Yes I believe it is. One moment it has just the amount of power left to start the tractor. The decline is gradual and at one point it quits. Over the years I never noticed the starter in my motorcycle was turning slower and slower. Finally it quit. I had it repaired and now it spins it as fast as it idles. There are usually signs of deteriation. We just aren't tuned in enough to notice. There isn't much one can do with a battery when it does go south. Just purchase another and hope for the best.

/ 2305 battery #3  
Yep, sounds typical to me. The OEM JD batteries are especially known to die an early death!

/ 2305 battery #4  
Agree very common. You can check the voltage across each individual cell. Odds are you will find one shorted with no voltage. Vibration and shock over time until one day while using it the cell fails. Tractor will continue to run fine until you shut it off and try to restart.

/ 2305 battery #5  
I just had this happen to my 2305 after 4 years. It just died. It also would not take a charge showed good voltage but when I but the load tester on it it failed in less than a second to zero. Looks like the preheater runs the phantom charge down and it just gets worse from there.

/ 2305 battery #6  
My went after two years - the engine shut off while mowing. Couldn't be jumped and the battery couldn't be charged. Dead as a door nail.

/ 2305 battery #7  
Yep, we just put our third battery in this spring; 2008 model.

/ 2305 battery #8  
I've been fortunate to have had good luck with JD batteries. Not cheap, but they seem to have lasted well for us in applications from the lawn tractors to the combines.

Wish I could say the same for the batteries in my 2005 Suburban. I've always bought the best AC Delco batteries available, and I'm now on my 3rd or 4th battery. The dealership can't find a drain, but let it set for 3 weeks and I'd best be prepared to jump it.

So I finally just bought more smart chargers for the truck and tractors when I know they'll be sitting for more that a couple of weeks. Especially on newer cars and trucks, as I still think the complexity of the electrical systems will drain off reserve capacity faster than the older, simplier systems.

/ 2305 battery #9  
Yep. Very common. Mine died at 4 years and 200 hours as follows.

I finished mowing, parked the tractor in the garage for lunch, tried to start it an hour later and just got a click after the glow plug relay clicked. Lights worked fine. Jumped it and it worked fine. Turned it off and it just clicked once.

My JD Dealer sold me a Deka battery for $110. My son has worked in auto parts stores for 20 years and said they are a very reliable and lasting battery. Many farmers buy them for their tractors and swear by them.

/ 2305 battery #10  
GGB said:
I've been fortunate to have had good luck with JD batteries. Not cheap, but they seem to have lasted well for us in applications from the lawn tractors to the combines.

Wish I could say the same for the batteries in my 2005 Suburban. I've always bought the best AC Delco batteries available, and I'm now on my 3rd or 4th battery. The dealership can't find a drain, but let it set for 3 weeks and I'd best be prepared to jump it.

So I finally just bought more smart chargers for the truck and tractors when I know they'll be sitting for more that a couple of weeks. Especially on newer cars and trucks, as I still think the complexity of the electrical systems will drain off reserve capacity faster than the older, simplier systems.
If you have the Bose system in your suburban, have the amp tested to see if it is staying on. My buddy went through the same thing with a Jimmy for 9 years.