New 1070 Owner needs some help.

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #1  

Brenttnhmby

I recently purchase a JD 1070 and I need some help. I can't figure out how to get this thing into gear range 1. The range selector knob shows it in the center where neutral is. How do you engage it?::eek:

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #2  
Help me to understand.......are you speaking of the high / low range selector?
If that is in neutral then you won't be able to move........or is it another selector?

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #3  
Are you talking the range lever on the left of the seat? If so, I believe you have to push down, or pull up on the handle to access one of the ranges, can't remember which gear it was, just remember you had to pull up or down on it, and once you did it would make sense. If its the gear shift lever on the floor in the center, first should be up to the left if I remember correctly.

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help.
Its the range selector to the left of the seat. If you push down and to the rear it goes into 2nd gear set range. If you push down and forward it goes into the 3rd set range. The knob shows a circle with an N in the center pointing to the center and there is a dash with a 1 forward of the circled N. I don't understand how you get to the 1st gear range.:eek:

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #5  
I have the xx70 series service manual at home. I'm not sure if it will answer your question, but I'll see if it does and post a response tonight.
Hopefully, you'll have your answer before then since I know there is a few 1070 owners on TBN.

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #6  
Its the range selector to the left of the seat. If you push down and to the rear it goes into 2nd gear set range. If you push down and forward it goes into the 3rd set range. The knob shows a circle with an N in the center pointing to the center and there is a dash with a 1 forward of the circled N. I don't understand how you get to the 1st gear range.:eek:

I believe you lift up on the range selector and push forward. That should be 1st. Let me know if it works as it's been awhile since I've been on a 70 tractor.

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #7  
The 1070 operator manual, attached, provides zero help. Also have not yet found anything in either 1070 maintenance or parts manuals. Need a current 870/970/1070 operator here.

Attachments

• 1070 shift.jpg
    1070 shift.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 222
   / New 1070 Owner needs some help. #8  
For my JD 870 I just push it forward to get to range #1. Push down and forward/reverse for #3 &#2. Have your gear shift in neutral when doing this.

Seeing the post about lifting to get into #1 will make me try that tomorrow just in case I should have been doing that all along! :eek:

Cheers!

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help.
Thanks Jeepin4fun that worked!:thumbsup: And thanks to all of you who responded. I appreciate the help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later.:confused:

/ New 1070 Owner needs some help. #10  
Hi . I have had a 1070 for 16 years now let ne know if you have any questions. They are a great tractor.