3520 drivetrain running hot

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #1  

jeffster

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520 w/ 300CX
So, was out doing some grading and limb piling on the tractor today. Was out about 4 or 5 hours and while box blading and with my arm behind me while backing up, I could feel the heat coming up from the rear. So, I hopped off and felt the case and sure enough, it was extremely hot. Even the rear arms were hot. So, I let it cool down for a while and went and worked on some other things. After about an hour, it was normal. I checked the fluid, which I do regularly anyway, and it was completely full and nice and clean. It was about 75 degrees out today, so not hot at all.

So, question for the group, should it have got that hot after that length of time? It was running great and if it wouldn't have been for me noticing the heat coming from it, I would have probably kept on going for another few hours. Now I am little paranoid that something might not be right. Thoughts?

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #2  
Don't know much about the 3X20 series but would first ask if you have checked the transmission cooler to see if it is blocked? I have never had either of my ehydro tractors warm up to the middle of the green scale.

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot
Thanks for the reply. A couple of more items that might help here. First, it is a PowerReverser, not a hydro. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Secondly, it was hot enough that it would burn my hand if I would have left it there, but touching it for a second or two was ok. Also, the engine temp was great. Ran cool all day long like it always does. I have 148 hours on it so almost 100 hours since my 50 hour complete service.

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #4  
If it is that new I would take it in for a check up at the dealer.

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #5  
jenkinsph said:
have checked the transmission cooler to see if it is blocked?

I want to say the PR tractors do not have an oil cooler, only HST machines get the Oil Cooler...

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #6  
I want to say the PR tractors do not have an oil cooler, only HST machines get the Oil Cooler...

Yes but the PR transmission wasn't mentioned until the OP's second post.

well, getting it to the dealer is a bit of a chore, so I'll check the filter first. Anyone know if you can change the filter without draining all the fluid first? I would prefer not to have to replace all the fluid since it isn't that old and is very clean from what I can tell. Thanks.

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #8  
I would first get a exact measurement of temperature. Use one of those infra-red temp guns and then call the dealer to find out if it it really running hot. Just because you cannot hold on to a working tractors transmission does not mean it has a defect. You cannot hold your hand on your cars transmission after a 4-5 hr drive right?

mfreund I completely agree, which was really the intent of my post here, ie. should I be concerned with it running hot enough not to touch for any length of time? Should the draft links be very hot as well? The problem is have never actually checked this before, so it caught me a little off guard. Thanks for the thoughts though guys, much appreciated.

/ 3520 drivetrain running hot #10  
I would first get a exact measurement of temperature. Use one of those infra-red temp guns and then call the dealer to find out if it it really running hot. Just because you cannot hold on to a working tractors transmission does not mean it has a defect. You cannot hold your hand on your cars transmission after a 4-5 hr drive right?

mfreund I completely agree, which was really the intent of my post here, ie. should I be concerned with it running hot enough not to touch for any length of time? Should the draft links be very hot as well? The problem is have never actually checked this before, so it caught me a little off guard. Thanks for the thoughts though guys, much appreciated.

It is not unusual or uncommon for hydraulic systems to run at 100* over ambient temperature, and since the tranny case is the fluid reservoir-it will get hot.

A IR temp probe is cheap and very handy to have around...