JD 4400 Tractor won't start

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start #1  

doc2460

Hi,

I have a 2002 JD 4400 compact tractor (40hp) that won't start. Initially, I had to jump it to start but then replaced the battery. Seemed to work fine after that for a couple of weeks. Now won't start again even with a jump. When I turn the key, I get panel lights but no click or turn over. Tried connecting directly to the red terminal on the starter without any success.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start #2  
I'd start with removing, cleaning, and re-attaching the battery cables. And also have the new battery checked, or fully charged after cable cleaning. Get that concern covered first.

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start
Thanks for the reply. Battery is good and terminals are clean and tight. I had already worked through that point. Connection at starter is clean and tight as well.

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start #4  
I agree with Beenthere. Sounds like the battery is dead again.

Are you leaving the key in the vertical position when you turn it off?

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start #5  
If the battery charges up disconnect it when you stop the tractor for an extended period of time. If it's flat again it is probably the battery. If the battery is charged then you may have a short somewhere.:D

I appreciate the replies.

I really don't think it is the battery. It's new and I've was able to start the tractor several days ago. I don't get anything when I try to jump it from the truck which worked when the old battery was dying. I don't leave the key in and it hasn't sat for an extended time. When I try to turn the starter by running a screwdriver from the starter red terminal to the frame, I get a great spark but no turn over.

Any thoughts on the starter or selenoid?

/ JD 4400 Tractor won't start #7  
Then are you looking for some ideas how to check out the starter or solonoid?

Also, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
   / JD 4400 Tractor won't start #8  
To determine if the starter motor is defective for the 4400

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 856
  • Test_b.JPG
    Test_b.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 974
Beenthere,

Thanks for the info and schematics. Where is the fuel shutoff selonoid wire connector?...didn't see it on the schematic.

OK...tried the test Beenthere suggested.

Without disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid wire connector, I disconnected the 309 Wht wire from the starting motor selenoid terminal and jumped from the positive battery terminal to the starter solenoid terminal. Got the starter motor to crank over but did not fire. That's better than it had been previously. I assume the lack of firing was due to the fuel shutoff solenoid wire connector being connected

So, how does one go about checking the cranking circuit wiring?