LT155 Stalling issues

/ LT155 Stalling issues #1  

Minneapolis JD155

Just felt the need to return the favor if other went thru the same issues I did with my LT155 lawn tractor. Sorry this is so long, but I feel the need to be detailed in the event someone else is haveing the exact same issue I was.

Here goes,,,,,,,

I do a fair amount of yard work with my LT155. Following is documentation of my issues, and attempts to fix on my own. Note, this is during dethatching processes, and it did not matter if I was dethatching or mowing, I would have the same issue.

Friday afternoon, for the first time in 10 years my LT155 acted up. By that I mean, I was mowing along, at a slow pace and it sputtered, back fired, but kept going.

Saturday I ran it most of the morning with no problem.

Sunday morning ran it with no problem. Sunday afternoon it started acting up again, spitting, sputtering and then stalling out. I swapped out the fuel filter, and that did not help. Each time it stalled, (which was about 4 or 5 times over the course of the afternoon) it would start right up. As I went about my afternoon, I would grab the gas cap, turn it loose and then back tight, thinking it could be a vent issue.

Monday night I put in a new plug, air filter (both elements) and changed oil and filter. I also checked the gas cap vent hole, and that was not plugged, but I put a piece of wire in there anyway and blew it out. This has nothing to do with the stalling, but I also installed a new starter, as mine was going out. ($185 from the big green store, ouch)

Tuesday night I ran it for an hour with no issue.

Wednesday night about an hour into my yard it started in again, spitting, sputtering and then stalling out, but now it would also add in a back fire, either when stalling out, or trying to re fire. It did this 3 times, each time it would restart. The fourth time it would not restart. About a half hour later, it did restart and back fire, then run just fine.

Thursday I found this web sight, and read about the ignition module. I went to my local big green store, and talked to the service department. They where not to helpful, as I think they wanted to fix it for me and charge me accordingly. I asked if there were any inherent problems with the LT 155 with a 15 hp Koehler motor. He told me no, that they are a solid built machine. He then thought it could be a venting issue, I told him no. He then said it could be the ignition module, but they would need to see the tractor. On my way out, I stopped at the parts counter, to see how much more they got for an ignition module versus those on line. Parts guy told me $49. I asked if they had any on hand. He looked around, and whispered, "I have 15 on hand, we go thru allot of these". Right then and there I decided this was the issue, and I got one. I installed it later on, not a major task, just allot of bolts to remove the engine cover. I also took off the hood to make it a little easier on me. Not sure if I would have needed to do that, but I did. I gapped it out at .008" I put it back together and ran it for and hour and a half straight with no issue.

Friday I used it again for another 1 1/2 hours with no problems. Feeling that my problem has been resolved.

A few tips if doing the ignition module replacement. Make sure you disconnect the battery and make sure you use caution when removing the engine cover bolt that is near the positive terminal. I did not do this, but I can see someone with a ratchet wrench hitting the positive terminal as they spin it around and getting a good zap.