john deere 36 ft hay elevator

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #1  

xcsp

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-55
3mb3p73oa5O65T35Q4a4r66a5da6e908f1219.jpg

3k93oc3p25V15Q35P1a4r0a2791a947311f92.jpg

Hello i just purchased this hay elevator it looks in good shape kept indoors just wondering anyone have any ideas as to model number ????
what year ????
it works great and purchased at a great price:thumbsup:
thanks
Greg

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #2  
Pretty unusual to keep it indoors for all those years that one has been around. Can't tell much from the end-on pics.
No serial number anywhere, or dog tag?

Going to use it for wood, or for corn?
Looks narrow for hay. The flights are too close to drop a bale of hay in as well. But that doesn't queer a good deal. :D

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #3  
Somebody had a BIG shed... and lot's of space! (Can't say that about my place..) Is that an electric motor mounted on the side (with a belt shield)?

All the real old ones (when I was a kid) were pto driven. This elevator might be a bit newer - and you won't be able to find any "came over on the Mayflower" stickers! Looks to be solid and straight; good score!

AKfish

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator
The guy I purchased this from used it for hay he quit baling squares and went to small round bales.
If I turn bales on side it will work fine ,it runs great ,and is faster than I thought it would go.

Also where the electric motor is mounted it is chain driven there under the sheild.

have a great day
Greg

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #5  
Around here we call that a corn dump. It was used to put ear corn in to a corn crib or wire bins. I have seen them used to move shelled corn as well. It will work for bales if you put one edge of the bale against the flites and let the rest of the bale ride on the sides. That one is in good shape. Usually they spent thier entire life outside

Dan

Dan thanks for the info I was getting worried did not bring it home yet picking up this weekend and the guy said he used it for square bales and it worked fine.
Thanks for the info will look closer when i get it home for a model number or something
thanks
Greg

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #7  
xcsp
If it doesn't work good for square bales, you can easily take out some of the flights (maybe two out, leave one) to have the square bales set on a corner. Sometimes too many flights and too steep an angle, the bales will start to slip off the flights, and then may start rolling off. But you should be good to go with a good solid elevator.
Removing flights is easy to do, and may only require a few extra links to take their place.

xcsp
If it doesn't work good for square bales, you can easily take out some of the flights (maybe two out, leave one) to have the square bales set on a corner. Sometimes too many flights and too steep an angle, the bales will start to slip off the flights, and then may start rolling off. But you should be good to go with a good solid elevator.
Removing flights is easy to do, and may only require a few extra links to take their place.

Thanks for all the information :thumbsup: this elevator is a little big for me but the price was right and it is good and solid elevator. The tires will need replaced but other than that it is good to go , If I have trouble with it I will replace the flights with links i have a whole roll of links from my manure spreader they look like the same links on it.
thanks
Greg

/ john deere 36 ft hay elevator #9  
I do believe it might be a New Idea grain elevator, not a John Deere. I have a 32' model that looks exactly like it (same bracing, chassis, motor mount, rigging, etc.) Make sure you keep the chains tight (stretchers on the top end). That keeps the grain flighting tight which keeps the bales from falling back on you. And, it keeps the chain from jumping off a sprocket. If that happens, the flighting will be stressed out and break. Check all the rivets on the flights and replace them as necessary. If one breaks during operation, the loose part can mess up the chain and sprockets. Tell your helpers to put bales on the elevator cut side up or down to minimize fallback. Mine has an electric motor mount and a shaft for a pto drive shaft. There is also a slip clutch on the intermediate shaft just in case it gets jammed.

Be sure to clean out the chaff from the front end housing. It tends to fill up with hay. When that gets wet, it corrodes the front end. You can make a new one up from a piece of a 30 gal hot water tank. I also welded a hitch on the front so that I can move it with a golf cart or 4 wheeler or lawn mower. A lot easier than moving it by hand.

You should test it out to see how many bales it can run before stalling and overheating the motor. This will save you time and aggravation during hay loading. Make sure its a TEFC motor (Totally enclosed fan). Don't want any hay catching fire. You might need 1.5 - 2 hp on that rig. I have 1 hp and am limited to 5 bales on it at a time when raising them about 10 - 12 ft.

My elevator is made up in sections (4' maybe??). You can remove some of them to get a more manageable length. Yes, you'll have to learn how to take a sprocket chain apart. There's a tool for that. Parts at TSC...