2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing.

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #1  

85Bears

Tractor
John Deere 2520
I have a 2520 with the mechanical lift for the 62D mower.
The bar/pin that separates the lift arms keeps shearing the cotter pins.
This has happened three times since it was new, July 2009.
The bar/pin is item #20 in the diagram.
Is this normal?

Attachments

• MP37981________UN03MAY06.gif
    MP37981________UN03MAY06.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 379
   / 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #2  
Is this normal?

Hi Bears,
Check the deck with it all the way up and see if it's hitting anything. Do you have a hydro lift kit?

Rob

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #3  
I woudn't think there would normally be that much side-to-side pressure on this connection. You might try replacing the cotter pins with lynch pins, if you can find one that fits the hole.

I haven't had the problem on mine (yet).

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #4  
There was one member that had problems with this issue...stared a LONG thread about the 2520 being junk or something like that...I will remember his name later:confused2:

But IIRC it turned out to be a setup problem...like the anti-scalp wheels where supporting the deck weight all the time and not allowing the deck to "float" or something like that-I will remember soon

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #5  
The problem is the deck is lifting too high. Incorrect set up by dealer. Raise the deck all the way up and you will see that it hits the frame of the tractor.

I know this from experience. Easy adjustment and it will stop your problems.

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #6  
   / 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #7  
Yes that was me having the issues with the deck pins. Since the deck was put in the float position I have not had any issues with the deck falling out :thumbsup:. My deck actually moves up and down and flops around now :D

I was using the mower per the owners manual, lockout the scv while mowing. That prevented me from putting the scv into the float position.
The deck wheels are adjusted per the manual and dealership, that is 1" of clearance on level ground. It turns out that the deck and pins carried all of the weight of the tractor anytime I went over a low spot.

Hope this helps you with your problems. It does get very frustrating when you pay good money for a machine that fall apart.

/ 2520 Mechanical lift kit pins are shearing. #8  
Is this normal?

For sure it wouldn't be normal. And for sure the dealer should have recognized such when the deck was set up, and also when you went back to discuss the problem three times.
Takes some serious pressure to shear cotter pins, so they should have had a clue that the deck was not set up right.

Glad you have now found the answer. :) :)