JD 3720 front wheel

/ JD 3720 front wheel #1  

bobsjd

HI

I have a 3720 with a cab & FEL, got lots of suggestions for stability on another thread - thanks

I looked at the front wheels and the JD manual. It looks like I can flip them side to side and get a wider front wheel foot print.

Has anyone done this? Since I have the R4 tires flipping the rear only gives an inch, so I am going after the 6 inch extensions.

My concern is if I flipped the front and got a wider front than back would I end up less stable?

Bob

/ JD 3720 front wheel #2  
A wider front is not going to help much with stability. Remember the front axle freely pivots and does not give much help to stability. However, if your tractor began to tip over, it is possible the wide front end could potentially stop a rollover. The axle would pivot and then come to the stops and hopefully not tip on over. This could potentially occur with a heavy load on FEL and little rear end weight. It is always much more advisable to ballast the rear end for weight to prevent any rollover or widen the rear end to make the tractor more stable.

I had a 3720 cabbed CUT and that stance is just too narrow for slopes/hills. I know have 4520 with cab and it seems substantially more stable.

/ JD 3720 front wheel #3  
Radman is right. With the pivot the front doesn't help too much with stability.

I have a 4720 now - Traded in my 3720 cab in Jan. I had 6" Unverferth wheel extensions on the rear with R3's and it made a huge difference (Made it 12" wider). I also was running the front wide but I don't think that made too much of a difference at all, just better lined up the rear/front wheels.

with the R3's in the narrow position I was running 66" on the outside of the tires. On the R3's there is a 5" difference narrow to wide so I could have gotten up to 72" but I think at that point the inside of the tire would almost have been outside my fender flares. :)

My 4720cab is running about 74" I think in the narrow position (R3's) and it feels far more stable than my 3720cab ever did. I'm looking forward to trying it on hills.

/ JD 3720 front wheel #4  
HI

I have a 3720 with a cab & FEL, got lots of suggestions for stability on another thread - thanks

I looked at the front wheels and the JD manual. It looks like I can flip them side to side and get a wider front wheel foot print.

Has anyone done this? Since I have the R4 tires flipping the rear only gives an inch, so I am going after the 6 inch extensions.

My concern is if I flipped the front and got a wider front than back would I end up less stable?

Bob

Bob
I flipped mine (4300, but same frame size, R4's), and it has worked fine. And when the pivoting front axle is at its limit, the wider stance is indeed better for more stability (not less). That front axle doesn't pivot very far. I am careful with a loaded bucket (or fork load) that I don't put much side stress on the front wheel rims and axles (stay on even ground and don't turn the wheels sharp). Prolly does add more stress, but so far (600 hours) so good. :)

/ JD 3720 front wheel #5  
I'm with Beenthere...
Swapped mine around on a 790 and it sure feels more stable. That might be psychological, but it improved the comfort level.

/ JD 3720 front wheel #6  
runnin' Turf Specials all the way around, all at wide setting, makes the unit very stable.