Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135

oops! I dropped a plastic gas cap into the gas tank on the riding lawn mower. I think it sunk....
    Can I continue to use it and then try and fish it out once all the gas is gone? Or do I need to get it out now? I need help! Any ideas?

Tractor
    John Deere 2240 MFWD

Default Re: dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135

Shouldn't be any problem just leaving it in there for now. Later, when the gas is lower, you can get a pair of the finger things that come out of the end of a metal flex tube (http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-24067/Detail) and with a flashlight pull it out when it's visable.
    Cyril

JD 2240 MFWD (with duels now)
    145 FEL, 8ft Rear blade (now I need a 12ft blade)

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Are you kidding? I dropped the whole nozzle, springs and all, off one of those stinky auto open cans into one of my tractor gas tanks. Don't worry about it, it's nothing.

Rob
    Rob

Thanks! I just wasn't sure and didn't want to ruin anything first and ask questions later

Tractor
    1952 JD 440 backhoe, JD 790

I doubt it would ruin anything. I suspect product liability-wise, any plastic part of a gas container is rated for full and continuous immersion in gasoline with zero degradation. Gotta be.

But, next time your tractor suddenly dies even though it's full of gas, you'll know why. Wouldn't take me long under those circumstances to fish that sucker out of there, using the method dcyrilc described. Just don't drop the flashlight.
    JD 790 w/FEL, Frontier 1060 FM, BB, SP, RB, PHD, forks and log splitter

JD 440 rubber tire FEL and BH

Caterpillar D4D

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Are you kidding? I dropped the whole nozzle, springs and all, off one of those stinky auto open cans into one of my tractor gas tanks. Don't worry about it, it's nothing.

Rob
    Just did the same thing, and on mine you cannot see the tank from the top, it so I gotta figure the best way to get it out. I think I will get another thread going
    Nuru
    JD 3520

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Quote Originally Posted by Nuru View Post
    Just did the same thing, and on mine you cannot see the tank from the top, it so I gotta figure the best way to get it out. I think I will get another thread going
    Nuru,
    Mine sat in there a couple of years and then I sold the tractor. Not much can happen that I can see. Does it have an metal on it? Maybe you could drop a powerful magnet down there if it has a spring on it. You could drain the tank, take it off, and shake it out but that's a lot of work.

Rob

Elite Member

Nuru,
    Mine sat in there a couple of years and then I sold the tractor. Not much can happen that I can see. Does it have an metal on it? Maybe you could drop a powerful magnet down there if it has a spring on it. You could drain the tank, take it off, and shake it out but that's a lot of work.

Rob
    Rob, Hmmm ,a magnet, did not think of that, there is a spring or springs in that assembly. The issue I have is that it is now preventing me from using my MMM, as every time I try to use it, if just cuts off the engine. Runs fine when I don't try to use the MMM.

I wonder if a big magnet can attract it and allow me to slide it up the tank into the upper section?
    Nuru
    JD 3520

Tractor
    John Deere 3320

Quote Originally Posted by Nuru View Post
    Rob, Hmmm ,a magnet, did not think of that, there is a spring or springs in that assembly. The issue I have is that it is now preventing me from using my MMM, as every time I try to use it, if just cuts off the engine. Runs fine when I don't try to use the MMM.

I wonder if a big magnet can attract it and allow me to slide it up the tank into the upper section?
    Nuru,
    My guess is that right now it's at the lowest point in the tank right by the outlet.
    Can you see it with a flash light?I'd try to snag it with a magnet and have a coat hanger with a 'U' at the end to slide through the nozzle hole. It seems to me that I could see mine if I looked into the tank with a light. These tanks are black, too bad they aren't the type you can see the gas in!

If you can see it with a strong light you may be able to get it with the bent hanger. Also see if you have a nozzle on another can you can probe with a magnet to test it. It depends on the the stainless steel springs, some have more nickel in them than others and magnets don't work well.

You may even be able to probe around in the dark with a hook and get it in the nozzle hole.

Rob

Elite Member

Nuru,
    My guess is that right now it's at the lowest point in the tank right by the outlet.
    Can you see it with a flash light?I'd try to snag it with a magnet and have a coat hanger with a 'U' at the end to slide through the nozzle hole. It seems to me that I could see mine if I looked into the tank with a light. These tanks are black, too bad they aren't the type you can see the gas in!

If you can see it with a strong light you may be able to get it with the bent hanger. Also see if you have a nozzle on another can you can probe with a magnet to test it. It depends on the the stainless steel springs, some have more nickel in them than others and magnets don't work well.

You may even be able to probe around in the dark with a hook and get it in the nozzle hole.

Rob
    Rob, thanks, take a look at the pic I posted on the other thread, poking around needs to be done with vision as that sending unit can get snagged by poking around in the tank without being able to see.
    Nuru
    JD 3520

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast