Tractor
    JD 4600

Default Owner Operator Manual Differences

I've noticed some differences between the printed Operators Manual for my 4600 and the on-line version. I just did my 50 hour service on my tractor and in doing so, couldn't find one of the grease points identified in the manual (OMM135715-F8). I figured I'd search the JD on-line version and see if I could find anything - in doing so I noticed that the on-line manual (OMLVU11184) had more pictures and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) added another set of work items to be done at the 50 hour interval (changing Transmission filter, fluid, etc., for the HST model). Since mine is an HST model, this got me wondering whether there were any other items that were different - and has me wondering whether I should attempt to do the Transmission service or take the tractor in to have it done.

Are the on-line versions more up-to-date and correct? And if so, why didn't I get the correct version from the dealer? Any suggestions on how to proceed? The transmission Fluid isn't supposed to be changed until the 500 hour interval (according to the printed manual) and it doesn't look as simple as changing the oil, so I'm thinking I might have to take it in.

I'm going to call the dealer also - but I appreciate your replies. Thanks!

-Bob

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

Default Re: Owner Operator Manual Differences

I have found a LOT of inconsistences in the documentation that John Deere provides. For instance, the operator's manual and the service manual have widely different specs for wheel lug torque. I asked the dealer and he asked his mechanic who had apparently never looked at any of the documentation. He just uses an impact wrench and has no idea how much torque he applies with it. One thing that was consistent was that the transmission fluid and filters were to be changed at the first 50 hour service. This is not hard to do. You drain the oil, remove a screen, clean and replace it, and replace the filter. The operator's manual that was provided me covered all the 4x00 models so I am supprised that you did not get the same manual. I bought a service manual and it has some glaring inconsistencies. Since I could not determine which was right I just use the most stringent requirement. My manual says to change the engine oil at 200 hour intervals. That seems like a long interval to me since it is equivalent to 12,000 miles in a car at 60mph but I am trusting the manual. If you could find a publication date, you could go with the latest but it seems safer to use the written documentation that is provided with the tractor or later to avoid any warranty problems later on.

I found that the dealer does some assembly work and at least my dealer's mechanics are not too good and they left out a lot of grease fittings that I had to go back and add myself. You may have experienced some of the same.

John Deere provides detailed documentation and instructions but what I found is that the persons who write the instructions must have never even looked at the equipment because it has lots of mistakes and false procedures in it. For instance, I installed a third SCV kit. The instructions would have you do a lot more disassembly of the control valve than is necessary. The instructions just said to intall two pieces of preformed tubing but now how to get them in without doing a total disassembly of the tractor. This was the only hard part of the installation with no help from the instructions. The dealer said this is common in their instructions.

Tractor
    JD 4100 HST

I found that the manual for my 4100was not correct concerning the oil to be added during an oil change. ended up overfilling the engine and had to drain it. JD had changed specs and never changed the manual, even the dealer did not know of this until I brought it to his attention. I don't know if they ever changed the manual on later versions.

Tractor
    JD 4600

In talking with the Dealer today, he said that JD's manuals are not up-to-date anymore and they recommend that people either access the CD-ROM service or use the on-line website. He said this was unfortunate as alot of folks still don't have web access - so they make sure they coach people on what they SHOULD be doing vs. what the manual always says. I'm glad I paid attention and checked things out.

He recommended that I do the Transmission service myself - that being said I'll do it this weekend. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-Bob

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

That's good information. Thanks for sharing it.