Through the hood exhaust 3320

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #1  

Rob-D

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Does anyone have one on a 3320? Is it better for reducing exhaust odors? How bad is the normal pipe for odors? Looks neat! but does it make it a problem to open the hood?

Thanks,
rob

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #2  
The hood exhaust version is more for relocating exhaust away from sensitive plants, etc. It does look pretty sharp, but does ad a step to opening the hood. There is a shield on the pipe that remains cool that allows you to rock the pipe from side to side slighlty to remove it from the lower portion. It is a tapered style fit, if installing it yourself pay real close attention to which hole to cut out in the hood as there is both the marks for a 3000 20 and a 4000 20 opening under the hood. A hole saw that is the right size works well.

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320
Thanks CT,
I was wondering if it diverted exhaust away from the driver or it was no better than the standard exhaust? Love the diesel, hate the smell.

Rob

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #4  
Thanks CT,
I was wondering if it diverted exhaust away from the driver or it was no better than the standard exhaust? Love the diesel, hate the smell.

Rob

I've had both and I prefer the through the hood in regards to smell and bothersome exhaust.

However, I don't like what the through the hood exhaust pipe does to visibility when using the FEL or approaching objects in close quarters.

Everything's a trade-off....

I think the underhood exhaust is a bit quieter. The engine noise is deflected down and away from the operator station.

Long and short - on my dime - below hood. My $0.02.

AKfish

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #5  
There are some older threads about this with great pictures...search post's by user "dirtworksequip" or something like that.

Thanks Kenny,
I did find the post and it answered my questions. I'm going with the stack, I hate the smell and the kind of work I do I often have to be on the ground or arond the exhaust. I can even smell it when I use the 3PH log splitter. I'll tell you all something I noticed. I originally had a 2320 and you don't get the smell except at startup from cold. Somebody remarked about direct injection being a factor and noticing the 2320 doesn't have the severe problem, I don't know but I'm dead sure the 2320 didn't come anywhere near the smell of the 2720. On my 3320 I'm definately going with the stack and I'll talk to my nephew who bought my 2720 about setting up a way to put a stack on his machine too. Diesel is bad for you, I love these guys but I love my health too.

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #7  
Just installed the through hood on my 3120 and am soooo glad. As dry as it has been here, the old exhaust really kicked up the dust and grass. Wish I had known about this kit years ago. Gotta love TBN.:thumbsup:

Caliber,
Deere claims it's for sensitive vegitation so I guess there's some truth to it. How's it for odor, any different?

Rob

/ Through the hood exhaust 3320 #9  
I like the vertical stack, but it can be a bit of a hassle if you have low hanging branches.

I'd say that's right Roy from the number of times my ROPS hits them. I guess you have to weigh whether you can live with the smell or the branches. To bad you can't fold it like a ROPS!

Rob