Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #1  

Buck

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 790 (2001)
Is the reading on the temperature gauge shown in the attached photo normal? It takes quite a while just to get to the shown reading...

Thanks,
Buck

Attachments

• 10-190791-therm.jpg
    10-190791-therm.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 182
   / Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #2  
Unless you have steam coming out of the overflow with the gauge showing normal temp, I don't think you have a problem...

The gauge on my JD 790 starts well below the green when cold an does take several minutes to reach operating temp. The gauge will remain in the first quarter of the green, just a little higher then the gauge in your picture...

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #3  
I've a 670. My temp gage indicates just about where yours is at normal operation. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get there. The JD Manual does say something about checking the thermostat if your engine is running cool. I don't think that's the case, however...reckon it's the nature of the beast.

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #4  
If one touches the Rad or the return coolant hose to the engine you can get a pretty good idea of the operating temperature of the engine.
Egon

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #5  
I'd say yes. Diesels run a lot cooler than gas to begin with, and most of us rarely work our compacts hard enough to get 'em hot anyway.

I run a 240 hp Ford turbodiesel truck for the fire department, and we had to put electric guage heaters on on the pump panel cuz the engine wasn't providing enough heat to keep things thawed out for winter operations.

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #6  
Don't worry about it Buck. The guage on my 4710 also is like this with no problems. If this proves to be a problem, then I'd rather cope with this than having the needle over in the red zone. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bob

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always #7  
My 4300 runs just about the same. Last week I was dragging some large stones for a retaining wall. All were too heavy for the 430 fel to carry. They all came from the back of my property and up a hill. It is about a 1000’ and the 4300 was working hard. The temperature needle never moved.

I wondered about it when I first got the tractor and checked with my neighbor a farmer with Deeres of all sizes. All the diesels run cool was his response.

I had dragged about ten of these stones and my cell phone rang. It was my farmer neighbor telling me I needed a real tractor and not a “toy” to move the stones. I looked through the trees and he was working the field next to our woods on the biggest of his tractors. I think it is 9300.

/ Temperature gauge shows cool engine -- always
Thank you for your comments and insights.

I very much appreciate the advice!

Buck