200 hour service

/ 200 hour service #1  

organ grinder

Bronze Member
I have a 2210 which is approaching its 200 hour mark. The hydraulic fluid was changed at 50 hours just before I acquired the machine. A friend who does maintenance on John Deere equipment at a local cemetery suggested that instead of changing the fluid, I only change the filter. He contends that (a) since the fluid was changed once and (b) the fluid does not lose its strength, a filter change is all that is needed. Does anyone have any experience that would indicate his advice is sound or not? I only put about 50 hours a year on the tractor. Many thanks. . . .

/ 200 hour service #2  
I would change it...cheap insurance to me. And I disagree that
the fluid does not lose its strength,
per say...

/ 200 hour service #3  
Think you probably can change the hydraulic filter on the 2210 without changing the fluid. A poster in the General/Operating forums above is asking how to do this on another tractor where they don't recommend changing the fluid with the filter. Changing the fluid and filter at 50 hours makes sense, to remove the metal filings, etc. left from assembly. However, changing out the fluid after only 200 hours doesn't make sense other than to change the filter. The filter is what can probably get worn or stressed enough to require changing. Don't think the fluid gets much stress after only 200 hours.

On my 4010, I can't change the filter without changing the fluid as all the fluid would come out with the filter. It's far too much trouble to try to reclaim the fluid, filter it or whatever to reuse it.

Ralph

/ 200 hour service #5  
The manual for my JD says to change engine oil and filter every 200 hours, but transmission oil and filter only every 400 hours.

/ 200 hour service
The owner's manual for the 2210 calls for a transmission oil and filter change at 50 hours and then never mentions it again. The local dealer suggested that it would be good to do so at 200 hours. Of course, the dealer may have a vested interest in his recommendation if he believes he will get the work or sell the fluid or both!

Other than the mess, I don't mind changing it if that is (a) necessary or (b) something that would prolong the life of the tractor. I just don't want to change it if it's not needed.

Thanks for the feedback.

/ 200 hour service #7  
I'd go with the 200 hour change. It's not too expensive plus it might take more then a year to get those hours.
I go annually for the engine oil, biannually for the hydraulic fluid.
Cheap insurance...

/ 200 hour service #8  
Remember there is more than the spin on filter, there is a strainer also you need to clean. I would change the fluid - doesn't much.

You mentioned hours, but how old is the fluid?

D.

/ 200 hour service
The 2210 was purchased new by the original owner in early 2006. It has 56 hours on it when I bought it in January 2007.

/ 200 hour service #10  
The 2210 was purchased new by the original owner in early 2006. It has 56 hours on it when I bought it in January 2007.

I would change the oil, filter, and clean the screen. Who knows if it really got done at 50 anyway. This way you know for sure.

D.