3720 Battery

/ 3720 Battery #11  
Sorry that site didn't come up but let's talk about batteries.
Optima (yellow top) is a deep cycle AGM battery. That's a glass matt battery and they have different float voltages and charging than lead acid batteries, they also have different internal resistances. Batteries (deep cycle) are rated for number of cycles they are recharged and they are a different animal than an auto battery which is not a deep cycle battery. If you look at Optima's web site they give the charging for their batteries and it says "strictly adhered to". That's because if you charge it wrong the battery life goes down... drastically. Batteries are charged by a percentage of 'C' where C is the battery capacity. So an AGM battery might be charged at C/5. Let's say the battery is rated at 10 amps, C/5 = 2 amps charging. Charge it faster and your battery life goes down or worse on an AGM it gets too hot and the one way valve lets gases escape so the battery doesn't blow up. The problem is that once too much gas escapes the battery is toast.
So AGM batteries have different float voltages, different rates of charge, different internal resistances and different peak safe voltages.
Deep cycle batteries are not designed for CCA (cold cranking amps). Optima might make one but you still have the above conditions to meet.
The thing that ruins lead acid batteries is fast charging. What happens is the plates warp and when they warp material falls to the bottom of the battery and shorts the plates. If you notice Deere batteries are relatively high, that's a good thing because it leaves more room at the bottom of the battery for material to sit before the battery fails. Bottom line, don't charge your car or tractor battery fast. Use a slow charge over a few hours.
With all this said they may work in your tractor and Optima may even sell them for cars but I don't want one. Optima give you a strict charging paradigm to protect themselves and several years ago they were pulling batteries off the shelf. (do a search on Optima troubles, they're not without them) Deere batteries are fine used properly AND designed for your tractor's charging system, that's important. Mine last.
I've seen more people complain about batteries when it was how they handled them and I've seen dirty terminal with poor connections sending people for new batteries when they didn't need them.

Rob

/ 3720 Battery #12  
Sorry that site didn't come up but let's talk about batteries.
Optima (yellow top) is a deep cycle AGM battery. That's a glass matt battery and they have different float voltages and charging than lead acid batteries, they also have different internal resistances. Batteries (deep cycle) are rated for number of cycles they are recharged and they are a different animal than an auto battery which is not a deep cycle battery. If you look at Optima's web site they give the charging for their batteries and it says "strictly adhered to". That's because if you charge it wrong the battery life goes down... drastically. Batteries are charged by a percentage of 'C' where C is the battery capacity. So an AGM battery might be charged at C/5. Let's say the battery is rated at 10 amps, C/5 = 2 amps charging. Charge it faster and your battery life goes down or worse on an AGM it gets too hot and the one way valve lets gases escape so the battery doesn't blow up. The problem is that once too much gas escapes the battery is toast.
So AGM batteries have different float voltages, different rates of charge, different internal resistances and different peak safe voltages.
Deep cycle batteries are not designed for CCA (cold cranking amps). Optima might make one but you still have the above conditions to meet.
The thing that ruins lead acid batteries is fast charging. What happens is the plates warp and when they warp material falls to the bottom of the battery and shorts the plates. If you notice Deere batteries are relatively high, that's a good thing because it leaves more room at the bottom of the battery for material to sit before the battery fails. Bottom line, don't charge your car or tractor battery fast. Use a slow charge over a few hours.
With all this said they may work in your tractor and Optima may even sell them for cars but I don't want one. Optima give you a strict charging paradigm to protect themselves and several years ago they were pulling batteries off the shelf. (do a search on Optima troubles, they're not without them) Deere batteries are fine used properly AND designed for your tractor's charging system, that's important. Mine last.
I've seen more people complain about batteries when it was how they handled them and I've seen dirty terminal with poor connections sending people for new batteries when they didn't need them.

Rob

I too have wondered why everyone seems to go for the Yellow top in their tractors. They are advertised as dual-purpose, but are still a deep cycle battery. Designed to be charged and then run down such as a trolling motor application. Not what you want for these continuous charge operations. The Red top is a starting battery and is designed for car and tractor applications. I have never used an Optima or similar in my tractor so have no personal experience, but if I decide to try one I will look at the Red top. Be glad to hear the reasons others have chosen the Yellow top.

/ 3720 Battery #13  
Deep cycle batteries work best in alternate energy systems where they are slowly drained and recharged. There are lots of sealed batteries showing up in solar systems now but I hear they still have their problems there too. Lots of cracked cases just as the warrantee runs out. I know a solar guy who won't use them. They work great in a computer UPS or locations where you don't want hydrogen gas in the environment like planes, or where they will be in non upright positions, boats.

Rob

/ 3720 Battery #14  
The battery in my 110 TLB died just two weeks ago.

I got as new automotive battery with 3-year replacement guarantee for $85 at Schuck's. (Same as Kragen and O'Reilly)

The said it was a reverse-terminal battery, but when I installed it, I noticed that the cables were long enough that I could have used the standard terminal configuration with no problem.

These cheap batteries have a high failure rate, but Schucks has always honored the warranty for me.

Tractor service is hard on a battery because it is typically low usage, maybe 100 hours per year.

What I know for sure is that my battery cost is going to be less than $30 per year, which seems low enough to me.

I think Optima batteries are better batteries and might last longer, but when I estimate $/year, I think I come out ahead with the el cheapo ones.

/ 3720 Battery #15  
I think Optima batteries are better batteries and might last longer, but when I estimate $/year, I think I come out ahead with the el cheapo ones.

I think you're correct...I'm not a fan of the Optima batteries, they were the hot thing to have when they first came out, but long term they arent as good as they seem...we''ve had much better luck with the Exide Orbitals. BUT when it comes time to get one for my tractor, I'll probably do the same as I did with my pickup...go middle of the road...just run down to Sears and buy a Die-Hard, I've had the best bang for the buck with DieHard. Not much more expensive then a wally world battery, and a good quality battery IMO.

/ 3720 Battery #16  
Dave and Dave, I'm with you guys on this one. This discussion reminds me of the longest lasting battery I ever had which was a new Montgomery Ward, one of their better ones, in a 1978 Kubota L245DT tractor. The battery was about 12 years old and still going when I sold the tractor. That is exceptional but I still look at the newer type batteries once in a while.

/ 3720 Battery #17  
I had the same problems as others with the JD battery, and it only lasted a couple of years. Was going to go with a Walmart special, but couldn't find one to fit, so got an Exide from TSC. It has slightly less CCA than the original battery, but after a year, it seems to be working OK.

My 1987 JD lawn tractor came with a battery with the vent tube, but the problem I had with that is I could never find a replacement anywhere but the dealer, so the tube doesn't get used any more.

As for acid boiling out the top, I had that problem too. I used to be picky about maintaining the electrolyte level, but I found if I just let it stay a little below where I "thought" it should be (i.e., the bottom of the plastic) I don't have the problem anymore.

/ 3720 Battery #18  
I have about thirty batteries to maintain in my equipment and have tried just about everything over the last 15 years or so. I have it down to two types to use now, where I am most concerned about dependability I use Odyssey or Sears DieHard Platinum (these are one and the same) for my boat, camper and 250 pickup. For all the lesser applications such as service trucks, tractors, generators and welding machine I use the Walmart Everstart Max which typically give me about 6 years of service.

/ 3720 Battery #19  
Here is lots of info regarding different kinds of batteries. Note they indicate only 30% of all batteries make it beyond 48 mos.

Battery Tutorial