Mowing 2305 clicking noise while mowing

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing #1  

C-Range

Advertiser
Tractor
Various
My property is very sloped with grade changes abound. I rarely get to mow in a straight line for very long. In some spots, the mowing deck will actually bottom out up against the tractor on one side as I squirrel up an off camber turning rise. When the mowing deck bottoms out against the tractor, I hear a clicking sound from below.

I've always figured it was the PTO shaft grumbling a bit or maybe something in the pulley system. I just try to avoid it or reposition when it happens.

A couple of weeks ago while lubing up under the tractor, I noticed some nicking on the bottom edge of the metal shroud around the infamous plastic cooling fan. I thought "Oh wow, I must have come close to hitting the fan with a branch or something" and the priority for getting protection got stepped up a notch but I otherwise dismissed it for the time being.

Well, I had a thought this morning. I think what might be happening is that when the mowing deck is bottoming out against the tractor, the gearbox on the mowing deck might be hitting the fan shroud and causing the plastic fan to rub slightly.

Has anyone else noticed this or made this connection? I'm going to try taking a closer look as soon as I get a chance but I was wondering if anyone else has heard this clicking sound while mowing. I'll get pictures, don't worry.

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing #2  
Mine just started making a rapid clicking as well but I thought it was related to the steering. I can't seem to make it happen but once in a while when ihave the wheels turned all the way to the right I get a clicking that goes away if I straighten out the wheels a little bit.
Sorry, this probably doesn't help you.

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing #3  
My MF2610 does the same type of sound (I believe). I just thought it was normal from the deck, maybe, hitting the stops so it don't hit the bottom of the tractor? I don't think the deck should be able to hit the fan in any configuration, but I am not sure of the JD. The other thing is that the pins that hold the deck, might have have enough movement, to allow the deck to move so the weight is shifting on the lifting arms left to right.

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing
Mine just started making a rapid clicking as well but I thought it was related to the steering. I can't seem to make it happen but once in a while when ihave the wheels turned all the way to the right I get a clicking that goes away if I straighten out the wheels a little bit.
Sorry, this probably doesn't help you.

Brian,

Don't think it doesn't help. Right now is information gathering time so anything at all is a contribution. You actually mentioned something that I forgot which is that the sound usually happens to me when I have the wheels turned as well although I believe I can also get it with straight wheels too.

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing
Ok, I got to the bottom of it. My PTO shaft is hitting the fan guard. Also, the front tire reaches the attaching spring pin for the front mower hanger.

The good news is that the fan blade itself isn't what is making the clicking noise, it's the PTO U-joint. When I get a chance, I'll pull the mower deck out from under and get a good look at the fan guard to see if it was somehow pulled down a little bit to cause this but it's been doing it for as long as I can remember so I don't think that will be the case.

As you can see in one of the pics, I shimmed up the deck all the way on one side and then shimmed the other side as much as possible to get what was left (not shown). From below, I was able to get a real good look.

Oh, and I also checked the deck height adjustment and it was out a little, but not bad. I will be raising the gauge wheels one detent, into the 3rd hole from the top.

PS. Don't mind the dirt. I don't have a lot of time at the moment.

Attachments

• DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00078.JPG
    DSC00078.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00077.JPG
    DSC00077.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00085.JPG
    DSC00085.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
   / 2305 clicking noise while mowing #6  
Your fan shroud looks just like mine. I pushed it up a little bit so it seldom hits now. You will probably find a beat up section of brake linkage just to the left a few inches. The deck can drift that far when under stress and the PTO will hit it a little.

/ 2305 clicking noise while mowing #7  
To avoid the situation in the future, I think I'd try flipping the front tires (side to side) and getting them to a wider setting. That just may solve the contact with the front bail pin shown in the 3rd pic, and also give a wider stance to support the tractor when going through your "grade changes".
Good idea that the mower not be supporting the tractor in these situations.