Oil & Fuel 2305 Front axle oil

/ 2305 Front axle oil #1  

fdmars

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS & Power Beyond Kit
Front axle oil is low, went to dealer to get some, he said it unit is shipped from factory w/ 90 weight oil, and they swap it out with hy-gard as it works better over here, looking at the oil in the axle now it does not look like Hy-gard, anyways the question is, is it OK to put Hy-gard in the front axle?
same stuff they use in the rear. Thanks much
Fred

/ 2305 Front axle oil #2  
I would pull the owner's manual out and check it. I would follow the book.

D.

/ 2305 Front axle oil #3  
Front axle oil is low, went to dealer to get some, he said it unit is shipped from factory w/ 90 weight oil, and they swap it out with hy-gard as it works better over here, looking at the oil in the axle now it does not look like Hy-gard, anyways the question is, is it OK to put Hy-gard in the front axle?
same stuff they use in the rear. Thanks much
Fred

It probably has EP gear oil in it. Hyguard is the easy way at the factory, but check with your dealer.

df

/ 2305 Front axle oil
in New England I guess, seems odd to me. Had some left over Hy-gard and wanted to use it, but I agree 2 qts of 90 weight cannot cost much.

/ 2305 Front axle oil #5  
Mine was low after 2 years. Haven't see any leaks. I topped it off with 90wt from autoparts store. JD recommends 90 wt. I put in 90 wt. Been fine ever since. Your dealer may be blowing smoke. I'd be leery of what he says n the future... :cool:

/ 2305 Front axle oil #6  
I switched my 2210 over to 75W90 mobil 1 gear lube at the 50 hour service. Changed again at 300 hours. Coming up on 500 and working fine.

You can run a dino gear lube if that is your preference.....75W90 whatever.....

/ 2305 Front axle oil #7  
My 2305 owner's manual calls for GL-5 rated 80W-90 gear lube in the front axle. So that's what I use. In a colder climate I might consider using a synthetic 75W-90.