overhaul drive train on john deere 755

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755 #1  

BS Wat

JOHN DEERE 755 1986 MODEL: I have replaced main hydrostatic drive shaft, new hydraulic pump, new front PTO shaft, got everyting back together (not easily) All hydraulics work but I get no forward nor rearward power and the left rear wheel is locked. Lots of mowing hours on the tractor. hour meter out years ago. I seem to be getting fluids thru hydrostatic drive but it just will not go. Engine fine, when I started working on it the forward and reverse were ok. Any idea what I may have left off or done wrong? I would really appreciate any advice. Local JD dealer = $120 per hour...my soc check will not stand much of that. (They have to put two men on the job at $60/hr. )
My grass is getting tall. It would be nice to get it rolling. Thanks..BS Wat

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755 #2  
Will the pedals move? If they do move, what different sounds do you hear from the hydro when they are pressed? Any difference with the position of the two range gear shift? How do you know the wheel is locked?

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755
Pedals move full range
Slight engine strain when pedals depressed...no sound from hydro
Front of hydro warm to tough...no hot
no dif with range shift

Thank you BS Wat

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755
Forgot.....Left Wheel slides when pushed in neutral position.

BS

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755 #5  
Just for more info, what was the reason for tearing into this overhaul?
You said the forward/reverse worked ok when you started working on it.

Sounds like you will need to retrace some steps back to see what may not be connected, or assembled in the wrong place.

You are brave to tear into that job, and wish you a good recovery so you can mow the lawn.

Do you have a tech manual for this model?

/ overhaul drive train on john deere 755 #6  
Ditto what beenthere said.

I'll do some looking through the tech manual, but right off it seems like the hydro could be OK just not able to drive the stuck axle. What did you work on that could cause that?