Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series?

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #1  

orlo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2305/JD 4720 cab
At 18hrs I wanted to change my engine oil on my 4720 to get all the crap out (put break in oil back in). I also wanted to change out the hydraulic filter (I figure the Oil is still clean) to get rid of any mfg machining junk the filter caught.

Anyway, both filters say 'Hand tight' on the box, no tools. Neither filter even has flat portions on the end for a wrench - piece of cake, right?

Well, I had to use a 6" strap wrench and collapse the Engine oil filter to get it off it was so tight. :O) Worth noting was the # didn't match what Deere recommends but all the dimensions were the same as the new one. Now I'll leave out the part where
no matter where I positioned the oil pan it was spraying out of the pan onto my barn floor. :(

Ok, hydraulic filter should be better right? No, just as bad, but the filter was stronger than the engine oil filter so it didn't collapse as much.

Anyway, who puts these on at the factory, the Hulk?

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #2  
Maybe you're just a wussy...

Kidding, of course! And i'm sure you won't do that same dumba** thing that the original installer did. He's lucky he didn't warp those filters!

Snug it with your fingers, then another quarter turn (I do use a strap wrench for that last quarter turn...mostly due to leverage).

BTW, I've used both large channel lock pliers and a srewdriver (punched through the filter housing) to loosen overly tight filters.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #3  
I believe what happens is the rubber 'sticks' to the housing. Usually a thin film of oil is applied to the filter on insertion to allow the rubber to slide as it is screwed on. What happens is the rubber winds up sticking because there is no longer a film to allow it to slide as it's removed.

The rule for filters is to turn them 3/4 of a turn once they hit the housing.

Rob

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #4  
Unusually hard to remove filters are not all that uncommon with new engines. I do the same as Roy -- use very large channel lock pliers. Sometimes when a new engine is painted there will be a bridge of paint between the filter and seat.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #5  
And once the filter is off, don't forget to check that the gasket did not stay stuck to the engine. Bad things happen if you put the new filter on with the old gasket still stuck on there. Did that about thirty years ago on a new Bronco. Knew it didn't feel right when I put it on. About a mile down the road it blew. Black smoke in the rear view mirror looked like a blown NASCAR engine. Stopped immediately and figured it out right away, and just required a walk home for oil. I still think about that every time I screw on a new filter to truck, tractor, or car.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #6  
And of course the manual for my JD 4520 says:

"Put a light coat of clean engine oil on the gasket of new filter."

"Install replacement oil filter by turning filter clockwise until gasket contacts filter base. Tighten additional one-half turn."

So it sounds like after you make contact, everything from 1/4 of a turn to 3/4 of a turn is working for everyone. Then again, maybee Roy's "snug it with your fingers" is where he gets the 1st 1/4 of a turn :).

Orlo: What did you find, and were you justified in the early change out of the filters (vs. the 50 to 100 for oil, and technically the 400 hours for the transmission oil and filter) ? FWIW, I'll be changing everything out when my PTO hours hits 50.

Pete

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series?
The engine Oil looked pretty dirty but it usually does coming out of diesels. I haven't taken the filters apart yet but I may to see if there are any significant particles in them. I didn't see any large particles coming out of the hydraulic oil but the Engine oil was so dark I might not have seen them.

I just figured the filters are cheap and so is the break in oil. On the contrary, on my former 3720 the hydraulic filter was ridiculous, something close to $100 i think. Crazy.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #8  
And once the filter is off, don't forget to check that the gasket did not stay stuck to the engine. Bad things happen if you put the new filter on with the old gasket still stuck on there...............

Yep, many of us have done this at one time or another including myself. Something you don't ever forget and most likely never do again.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #9  
The first oil change on my JD 3320 was EXACTLY the same. I ended up piercing the filter with a large screwdriver and using that to loosen it. Nothing else short of that would work. Crazy.

The first on my tiny (at the time the smallest rider w/ hydro) JD 125 was very tight, but nothing like the 3320.

Its been just fine since.

/ Does Lou Ferrigno install the Filters on the 4x20 series? #10  
Yes his must have needed some extra scratch. I had to come up and read this to make sure I was not imagining how tough it was on. Went back down and put some real muscle into it and it finally broke free.