Mowing 3 point hitch when mowing

/ 3 point hitch when mowing #1  

bad 1k

Tractor
John Deere 4115, john deere 997
I have a quick question for the knowledgeable folks on here.

I have a John Deere 4115 with a mid mount mower. When i mow my lawn, i can only lower my deck to number 8 on my lever on the 3 point hitch. Any lower then that i scalp the grass or kick dirt. Since 9 is the highest..it doesn't seem to me, to be right.

Is my deck out of whack or something...this machine is new to me, and the last owner says it was always that way for him.

/ 3 point hitch when mowing #2  
Have you followed the deck setup adjustments in the manual? Is it set correctly, or maybe not.

/ 3 point hitch when mowing
I don't have the manual as of yet, my dealer was supposed to get it from the previous owner, but i have not received it yet.

So, is this the normal settings?

/ 3 point hitch when mowing #4  
You need the manual. There are to many adjustments on the linkages to say what's "normal", but on my 4110 (VERY similar to your 4115) with a 60" MMM the rock-shaft lever is right about in the middle for a 3 1/2" cut height. I actually use the "deck lock-up kit" to set the lowest possible height the deck will go so I can never cut lower than 3 1/2" without major changes to my setup.

You should be able to adjust the front and rear drag links that connect the deck to the tractor to get better results. The $8 JD deck leveling tool is very handy for this to ensure the deck is level.

/ 3 point hitch when mowing #6  
I don't have the manual as of yet, my dealer was supposed to get it from the previous owner, but i have not received it yet.

So, is this the normal settings?

No, it is not normal. :)
Follow up on the manual...either go get it or have the dealer order one out (might try to look up one online).

The rough basics to deck setup are:
1. Correct air pressure (or at least the same) in two front and two rear tires.
2. Get the lift adjustment in the medium range
3. On flat surface, adjust right to left blade tips to same height (with deck wheels raised and not touching) like 3". Use the Deere tool.
4. Still on flat surface, adjust front bail to carry deck so leading blade tip of center blade is 1/4" lower than trailing center blade tip. Use the Deere tool.
5. Set the deck wheels so they are 3/8" to 1/2" above the flat surface (or just not touching). The idea is to carry the deck for cutting, and just count on the deck wheels to handle any tendancy to scalp. The front (and/or rear) deck rollers do the same for scalping.

Hope I didn't miss any. :)

/ 3 point hitch when mowing
Thanks for the very informative answers. I'll get at that deck this weekend.

Once again...thank you.

/ 3 point hitch when mowing #9  
One last caution. After adjusting your mower deck per manual spec. Raise the mower slowly and inspect the trans. filter for contact with mower and/or linkage. I have the JD4115, w/72" belly mower, and had trans filter/linkage contact. I had to adjust mower raised height alittle lower to stop damage to the tranny filter. You don't want to punch the filter!!!

After resetting to clear the trans filter, I set the 3 pt. draft to "8" for mowing. I also raise the deck while in turning in reverse. Stops Anti scalp wheels from gouging. Take your time with the linkage adjustments. Inspect the filter for contact. When all is good, start mowing!!
FYI: I made a short chain w/hooks to hold the discharge deflector open. Disperses the grass chipping better. Good luck.