John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #1  

Brenttnhmby

Hey Guys, I need some help. My JD1070 is acting funny. I can't get it to go into gear. It almost acts like the clutch is still engaged even when I have the clutch peddle fully pressed down. This just started all of a sudden. Last time I operated it no problem. I go out to run it and this problem shows up. Is there any kind of adjustment in the linkage from the peddle to the clutch?

Would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #2  
Hey Guys, I need some help. My JD1070 is acting funny. I can't get it to go into gear. It almost acts like the clutch is still engaged even when I have the clutch peddle fully pressed down. This just started all of a sudden. Last time I operated it no problem. I go out to run it and this problem shows up. Is there any kind of adjustment in the linkage from the peddle to the clutch?

Would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks

My 870 has a turnbuckle for clutch adjustment located just beneath the left foot plate (right next to the bell housing/transmission.) I think the 1070 is similar.

But I don't think adjustment is your problem.

Your problem sounds like your clutch disc is frozen (essentially rusted) to the flywheel.
This has happened to me a couple of times when the tractor has sat for a good while.
I'm not advocating this but here's how I fixed mine when this occurred. My tractor happened to be parked on a slight downhill slope, just enough that it would begin to roll. I started it in neutral (idling) and let it begin to roll. When it got going I shifted into mid-range second gear. I then throttled up to about 1500 and with the clutch fully depressed gave the brakes (locked together) a pretty good stomp. The second stomp did the trick and the tractor stopped right away.

Just have a plan for what you are going to do if the clutch does not release. If you are uncomfortable doing this, you might have to call a mechanic.

After the second time this happened to me, I made a small wooden wedge that holds the clutch pedal down while parked. It's never happened again.

Good luck and tell us what happens.

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #3  
I think Tunguska is correct. I have seen sometimes the clutch "freeze" up overnight, especially in damp or very humid conditions. Occasionally they rust so tight that splitting the tractor is necessary to get it unstuck. Holding the pedal down somehow is the best insurance against this happening again.

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem
Thanks guys. Sounds like you both are probably right. I didn't know that could happen. The tractor had been sitting less that a week but there has been alot of rain. I don't know if I have the guts to try your suggested solution. The tractor is on top of a hill, not pointed down exactly, but at the top. However, not a lot of open space. Wooded area, don't know what I could do if it won't unstick.

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #5  
Check your ins policy in the event unplanned events happen. You can always say it ran away. Works for the automotive industry.

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem
Think Toyota has any connection to Yamara? :cool: Maybe I could convince them that my JD tractor was indeed made by Toyota!!:laughing::laughing:

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #7  
Yamara? I think you mean Yanmar:thumbsup:

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #8  
Thanks guys. Sounds like you both are probably right. I didn't know that could happen. The tractor had been sitting less that a week but there has been alot of rain. I don't know if I have the guts to try your suggested solution. The tractor is on top of a hill, not pointed down exactly, but at the top. However, not a lot of open space. Wooded area, don't know what I could do if it won't unstick.

DO NOT do this unless you are entirely comfortable about what you are doing!

A clear level area at the bottom of the hill to turn around and go back up to civilization is a must. Do you have access to another tractor or a truck that can pull the poor beast to a more appropriate site?

I was too cheap (or crazy) to pay someone for a road call for something I could do myself. But that (professional help) is certainly a good option.

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #9  
I am having the same problem with mine. I have tried the braking while rolling with the clutch pedal pushed down with no luck at all. I have attempted this several times. I put the bush hog on it with no luck. I am running out of ideas. Could I maybe have a bad release bearing or throw out bearing?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Yall

/ John Deere 1070 Clutch Problem #10  
There is a small access plate on the side of the clutch housing. It has a screen cover. If you open it you can see what is going on to some extent. You might be able to do some gentle wedging or prying with the clutch pedal depressed. I'd think about the condition of the clutch center splines if it keeps occuring - a dry lube such as moly or honda molylube works best. I haven't had this occur on my 1070 and it sat outside one year while I was installing sewers. I have had it happen on a BMW k75s motorcycle. I had a 1964 chevy clutch freeze up after a deep water event in hurricane Agnes. The shock treatment worked and it only happened once.