Teir 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different?

/ Teir 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different? #1  

nmu98

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......
Tier 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different?

So, I have my price set out, I have everything ready, and then he tells me that this is the first tier 4 interim engine he has seen int he 4x20 line.

So, does it have a dpf? Does it need anything other than diesel to run?

Whats the difference?

This place deals with mostly ag tractors... So he said the tier 4 on the ags has twin turbos and dpf... blah blah.. But from a quick search.. tier 4 interim has been out a bit? (since 2009)

Last edited:
   / Teir 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different? #2  
The below is a clip from John Deere's press release April 21, 2010 in Germany - does it apply here? I don't know.
"Engines below 56 kW (75 hp), which include the John Deere PowerTech E 2.4L and PowerTech M 2.4L and 4.5L engines, meet Interim Tier 4 and Stage III A emissions regulations without the use of cooled EGR or an exhaust filter. PowerTech M 2.4L and 4.5L engines feature a 2-valve cylinder head, a fixed-geometry turbocharger, mechanical unit pump fuel system (2.4L) and mechanical rotary fuel system (4.5L). PowerTech E 2.4L engines feature a similar 2-valve cylinder head and a fixed geometry turbocharger, but add full-authority electronic engine controls, an electronic unit pump fuel system, and are air-to-air-aftercooled.

Engine models and ratings in this power range include:
PowerTech M 2.4L: 36 kW (49 hp)
PowerTech E 2.4L: 45 kW 49 kW (60 hp 66 hp)
PowerTech M 4.5L: 55 kW (74 hp)"

Below is a link to a page on JD website w/ more info

Tier 4 Diesel Engine Emissions Technologies

/ Teir 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different? #3  
From reading the info, it appears the smaller engines will not use a filter or egr. You probably won't notice a difference. The big tractors will be getting exhaust filters, and egr. Some tractor manufactures are going with urea injection. JD tries to make a point of this. Downside of egr and exhaust filter is less fuel economy. Fuel will be used to burn off the filter.

/ Teir 4 interim on the 4x20 line... Whats different?
Perfect! I had an 08 GMC Dmax with the DPF and it was annoying to say the least. That exhuast pipe was hot during a regen. I hated parking it in the driveway with the kids playing after a regen. If they ever touched it they would have been burned badly. Glad this has nothing like that!